Volunteer Group is Hooked on Books Page 1 Celebrates National Literacy Action Week

Author: Jasmin Jones Staff Writer

Stop reading right now.

Can't do it, can you? It's almost a mechanical process — your eyes keep moving along the page, making sense of the words you see. Unfortunately, reading does not come so easily for everyone.

Ten percent of adults in Addison County cannot read with ease or perform basic tasks that require simple literacy. They cannot identify and enter background information on a Social Security card application. They cannot locate two pieces of information in a sports article. And they cannot calculate total costs of purchase from an order form. Forty-three percent of these people live in poverty and are unable to help themselves out of illiteracy.

"At Middlebury, it's easy to forget what a pressing issue illiteracy is, both in Addison County and across the entire United States, and Page 1 works hard to promote a love for reading, literacy skills and literacy awareness throughout the community," said Brian Radley '03, co-chair of the Page 1 Literacy Project.

Page 1 was founded at Middlebury College under student leadership in the fall of 1997. Over the years, students, faculty and staff have contributed hundreds of hours to local schools and organizations, identifying and fulfilling needs in the community.

Page 1 Literacy Project is sponsoring National Literacy Action Week this week. Radley, along with co-chair Morgan Wilson '04, dynamic board members and volunteers of the project have been very busy preparing for the many activities under the concerned advising of Margaret Sanchez, Page 1 coordinator.

The week started off with the society's third annual Children's Halloween Party and Reading event.

"Swift House Halloween Party was a wonderful event. We had Halloween poems and story reading, as well as fun Halloween activities. Both the kids and the volunteers had a great time," said Radley.

On Monday, they held a coffee house at The Grille, where staff and faculty, as well as students, read their favorite children's stories. All week long, there will be other activities in which students can offer help and assistance.

"I really believe Page 1 and National Literacy Action Week serve an essential purpose both on this campus and in this community. At any given point in the semester, we have as many as 100 amazing volunteers working to make a positive impact on Addison County," said Radley.

"Page 1 is a way students can give back to the community and share their love of reading with children," said Elizabeth Beetem '02, a member of Page 1.

Among the programs Page 1 has organized are "reading buddy," an after school program, tutoring at local middle schools, story time for preschool children, resources for adult learning, fun runs, May Day Book Walks and Harry Potter parties.

Page 1 also has ongoing weekly meetings to plan programs and let the campus know of the literacy concerns in the county.

"Students can volunteer weekly or at one time events. They should stop by the Proctor table this week, or visit Margaret Sanchez's office in McCullough for more info about volunteering," said Beetem.

Literacy is "not something you have or don't have. It's defined by different kinds of skills that fall on a spectrum." This is what Page 1 believes in and why they organize an assortment of activities and reach many diverse groups of people.