Lane Assumes Leadership of CFA

Author: Peter Simon Staff Writer

Jennifer Lane has a passion for the arts and the creative process, so it was natural that she would be excited to be offered the job of Director of Middlebury's Center for the Arts (CFA). She assumed her new post in August.

"I've been extremely impressed by the school so far," said Lane. "It's exciting to be a part of such a vibrant community."

Lane will be in charge of booking events at the CFA, including the Performing Arts Series. Her major task for the year will be to plan the events for the CFA's tenth anniversary, which will take place next year. She also has the responsibility of coordinating next year's Clifford Symposium.

She said her other goals include "trying to focus campus interest in the arts," and making sure students have beneficial artistic and intellectual experiences.

She will be working with people from various academic departments and commons to schedule events and coordinate artistic activities with academic ones.

The position of Director of the CFA opened up in 2000 when Susan Stockton, who had served for several years, left to take a position at another school. A search committee, chaired by Acting Provost Alison Byerly and composed of staff members, students and arts faculty, was formed to find Stockton's replacement. The nationwide search that included over 100 applications concluded with Lane's selection.

"We were extremely impressed by her energy and ideas," said Byerly. "She showed great interest in the position, and she had everything we were looking for."

Part of that, said Byerly, was significant experience in working with musicians. Before coming to Middlebury, Lane was Artistic Administrator at Columbia University's Miller Theatre, where she worked largely with contemporary classical musicians, as well as several other forms of performing arts.

Lane's interest in music has been a constant throughout her life. She graduated from Bryn Mawr College, where she played classical piano, in 1994 with a degree in English and Music.

After a brief stint in the academic publishing business, Lane moved on to the International Management Group (IMG), where she managed the careers of classical music groups. In her work at IMG, Lane worked with several groups, such as the Emerson String Quartet, which has participated in Middlebury's Performing Arts Series.

Lane, who considered attending Middlebury as an undergraduate, decided this was a perfect opportunity for her. "It was a great opportunity to come to a liberal arts environment like this," said Lane.

Among aspects of the College that impressed her when she visited were the campus itself, the excellent facilities in the CFA, and "the school's strong commitment to the arts."

An avid skier and biker, Lane was also attracted to the outdoor activities available in the area, many of which were not accessible in New York City.

Lane is thoroughly enjoying life at Middlebury. But she has just one worry. "I'm from Florida," she said. "I haven't been through a winter here yet."