Future of Page One, Community Friends Hangs in Balance

Author: Lindsey Whitton

Community Friends and the Page One Literacy Project, two of the largest community service programs that Middlebury College students are involved with, are simultaneously dealing with unrelated financial uncertainties.

Community Friends' Dilemma

Community Friends is a program that matches children ages six to 12, the elderly, the mentally ill and the developmentally challenged with student companions, who spend about two hours a week with them. "Children in the program represent a broad spectrum of children in our community," explained Tiffany Sargent, director of Service Learning and Student Employment. Some of the children may have suffered from abuse, a death in their family or a troubled sibling while others just might need a bit more support and attention.

Children are referred to the program by school guidance counselors or their parents, and the Community Council of Addison County then pairs them with a "friend."

Unfortunately, according to Sargent, the "future is somewhat questionable" for the Community Friends Program.

The Addison Community Council announced in a press release earlier this year that "it was in serious financial straits."

The release went on to say that, "the administration has identified the following factors as being responsible for the situation: turnover in key financial positions, as well as an outdated computer system, which resulted in inaccurate financial information being generated."

The agency also posted lower than expected revenues, brought on by a substantial rise in health care costs for employees.

As a result of the financial crisis, programs "whose expenses are not covered by billable services," including Community Friends, lost funding.

Community Friends costs between $30,000 and $40,000 annually. The United Way of Addison County has historically given the Counseling Service around $12,000 specifically for the program, with the rest of the costs being covered by private donors and Addison Community Council funds.

"The College is certainty dedicated to working with the Counseling Service to explore options," Sargent said. "We've been working on how we can solve the funding situation and if there is anything the College can do."

In a meeting held on campus last week to discuss the future of Community Friends, Elizabeth Beetem '02 said that those present were "trying to find a way to have a partnership between the Counseling Service and the College." She said that they were considering asking the College to split the cost of the program with the United Way.

Sargent, however, explains that her "hope is that we'll find enough pockets [of financial support] that if everyone can dedicate small amounts, not one organization or individual will have to bear the bulk of the burden.

"The College has supported the Community Friends organization in the past," Sargent explained.

Some of the fiscal support that Middlebury has provided includes free tranportation for students who could not otherwise reach their friend and free meals.

"We've had a long history of being involved and it's a real wonderful program," she commented.

At the end of the 2000-2001 school year, there were about 150 Middlebury College Community Friends. "Middlebury College students have provided the bulk of the Community friends over the years," Sargent explained.

She estimated that there are around 2,000 alumni that have participated in the program. Many have maintained their relationship long after their departure from the College.

Sargent recounted stories of alumni weddings in Mead Chapel where former "little brothers" or "little sisters" and their families have been invited. She cited many examples of Community Friends who, with the help and support of Middlebury volunteers, have overcome large obstacles and achieved success. These are "friendships that literally last a lifetime," Sargent said.

The Fate of Page One

The Page One Literacy Project was the flagship service project associated with the College Bicentennial program. It is both a student organization that follows the finance guidelines like all other student organizations on campus, and a project with a full time coordinator, funded by a three year grant of about $200,000 from the Alma Gibbs Donchian Foundation.

The grant, however, is about to expire and there is only enough money to support the coordinator, Margaret Sanchez, through June 30.

"Other colleges do things easily," Sanchez said. "Williams says 'let's have a blood drive' and they roll up sleeves and collect blood. Middlebury says 'let's solve illiteracy.'"

The College community responded with unprecedented support. Currently there are over 150 volunteers involved with Page One on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately, such ambitions are costly, and while Page One will definitely continue as a student organization, funds for a full time coordinator will soon expire.

Sanchez explains that her job is very important because she can do most of the administrative work, thus allowing students to concentrate on the specific projects.

In addition, Sanchez explained that students usually have very busy schedules that don't allow for the level of dedication necessary to run such a large program, and Sanchez can work during the summer, when students are not on campus.

"Page One could be continued as a student organization," Beaton said. "Or maybe we will get another grant – that's what we're hoping."

Students and staff have been looking into many different possibilities for the futures of both organizations. "Our idea was to combine Community Friends with Page 1," Beaton explained, "and to introduce a literacy component to Community Friends."

But this plan has only been informally discussed. Beaton realizes that the Counseling Service wishes to remain involved, and that it has always played an important role in the program.

"I am optimistic that both organizations will find a way to continue," she said. "Because if nothing else than they can be run by students, and I know that there are a lot of students who love both of them and would put in the time to run them.

They are both such wonderful organizations. They help the children in Addison County and they're great for the students as well."