Ross Pizza, From Oven to Plate

by

The hardest part about making pizza at Ross dining hall last Friday night was resisting the urge to face-plant into the first disk of[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Behind the Vest: Tales from the Front Desk of Office Manager Julie Rheaume

by

As this semester’s add and drop period winds down, chances are high you’ve filled out at least one add card. So, what happens to all[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

A Month in the Life of Linens: Lee’s Launderings

by

Cindy Lee wakes up at 3:15 a.m. five days a week and drives 45 minutes to work at the laundry room in Freeman International Center (FIC). Around 9:30 a.m. the truck arrives full with bags of dirty laundry from the three dining halls and any other catered events on campus.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

The Siblings Behind the Lucrative Sushi Operation

by

If you ventured down to Crossroads anytime in the past year, you may have noticed a small man and woman in red chef jackets, busily[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Pruning 101: Diseased, Dead and Dumb

by

The next time you walk by a tree, and a dead branch does not come crashing down, knocking you off your feet, you can thank the College’s Facilities Services Maintenance and Operations.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Atwater First Chef Cooks with Sweetness

by

Tammy Iffland, first cook in Atwater Dining Hall, is perhaps one of the happiest people I’ve ever met. “My job is fun,” she told me.[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Bob the Baker and His 16,000 Cookies

by

Robert Stowe, Head Baker, will retire this spring after a long career in the basement kitchen of Proctor. “According to human resources, it’s 49 years.[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

How to Make A Broomball Court Freeze

by

How do you make an ice rink out of nothing but a stretch of grass on a quad? As difficult as it might sound, every[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Buzz, One; Mother Nature, Zero

by

After just a few minutes aboard the white maintenance truck, Clinton Snyder, the landscape supervisor at the College, noticed that I had forgotten gloves.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

HVAC Crew Braves the Cold to Keep You Warm

by

For the heating and cooling team within Facilities Services, December through January is their Super Bowl. With huge swings in temperature, Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Raymond Runs the Nightly Watch

by

It is 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night.  The campus is illuminated by a full moon, and the faraway thumping bass of music can be heard[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Behind the Vest: Fall Foliage Is No Match for Landscaping

by

13 miles of sidewalk. Over 300 acres. Even for a 14-year Landscape Services veteran like John Quelch, these numbers are daunting. Nevertheless, Quelch has an eye for detail.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Round the Clock, Selleck Runs Biomass Plant

by

Instead of the steady hum of steam and woodchips moving through pipes, on Monday, Oct. 14, the biomass plant was a hive of activity.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

Taking Out the Trash with Wes Doner

by

Wes Doner climbs into the driver’s seat of the truck and pulls on a pair of plastic gloves. “Are you guys ready?” he asks with a grin.

/ Behind the Vest (0)

The Man that Keeps Middlebury Moving

by

While some students claim to have filled out a work order, the work of the Facilities Services staff that keeps Middlebury running smoothly often happens[...]

/ Behind the Vest (0)