Abernathy Exhibit Captures History of Vermont's Civil Unions

Author: Venessa Wong

The usual quietness resting heavily in the Abernethy Room in Starr Library melted as photographer Linda Hollingdale genially greeted and thanked contributors, supporters and spectators at the opening reception and book signing of her photo/essay exhibit, "Creating Civil Union: Opening Hearts and Minds," on Monday, April 7, where 11 pieces from the entire exhibit, chosen for their affiliation with the Middlebury community, will be on display for the next three weeks.
The book, published in October 2002 by Hollingdale's own publishing company (that she established for the purposes of printing this book), features 90 people in 47 photographs. Each subject offers a personal perspective on the creation of Vermont's civil union law through autobiographic essays, anecdotes, letters, articles and other writings. Hollingdale wrote in the book's introduction, "It is my hope that these images will put a human face on a controversial issue...similar thoughts, emotions and values are at the core of each participant's belief in equal rights for all citizens."
The photos are all black and white environmental portraits, portraying the subjects in their natural space and environment. Hollingdale said, "I wanted to capture their essence...and capture in ease the reflection of the person."
She used only natural light and worked with the subjects individually to portray what they wanted.
Hollingdale hopes to use the book as "an educational tool for groups. Its about people wanting to get to know one another. Its about family, marriage, love and life. It goes beyond the sex issue to an issue of people getting together."
Furthermore, Hollingdale said, "Whatever fires you up, makes you get up in the morning, inspires you, find it. Don't let others put you down. As improbable as it may seem at times, you can make a difference. We face hard times right now. You just need to keep in mind that there are still good things to follow."
The exhibit already went up in Vermont Law School, the University of Vermont, Unitarian Universalist Church and Ohio State University. Hollingdale said that so far, all the feedback is positive. "It's heartwarming. People are grateful that there are such efforts being made. I have received calls from readers and their relatives thanking me."
Many contributors to the project attended Monday's reception. David Weinstock, who with his wife Ann Jones Weinstock worked as editor of the book. "Think about the civil rights movement of the 60's," said Weinstock, "This may be [another] one of those movements. The book celebrates the people involved in the movement. It provides primary materials so that people won't have to dig it up fifty years later."
Concurringly, Starr Library Bindery Supervisor Joseph Watson with his partner Michael Warner, who is the subject of one of the pieces in the exhibit, said, "It is important to do this [write the book] as events occur. Fifty years from now [this issue] will be more important. The book gives perspectives on the time and place [of these events]. It is important work because of its usefulness for the future."
The photo portrays Watson and Warner in an intimate embrace, for which Watson said he was "willing" to pose. "I think it is important for people to know that gay people do touch each other...although it is weird to have [the photo] hanging at our work place."
Susan Murray, a lawyer in the Baker v. State of Vermont (1999) lawsuit that established civil unions in Vermont said, "The book is a wonderful, eloquent memory of the events [that transgressed] and testimony to the courage of many people."
David Moats, editorial page editor for the Rutland Herald who won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for his series of editorials on civil unions, is also feature in the exhibit. Said Moats, "The photos are the strong part of the book. [They] capture something about people. For me to see these people this way is eye opening." The prize winner then said humbly, "I sent a copy to my mom, she was proud."
Hollingdale began working with photography informally while in college and is for the most part self-taught, having taken only one photography class in her entire career. In 1993 she converted her basement into a darkroom and has worked intensely there since. She created this project as a means of commemorating her 30 years as a photographer, hoping to challenge herself and celebrate her work as an artist.
Mary Hurlie, senior advisor for organizational effectiveness, said that she originally wanted the exhibit to go up in Johnson but needed to arrange otherwise because that spaced had already been booked. The exhibit, relocated in a smaller area, could therefore not be displayed entirely. "The photos are just so powerful when you get to see them all together."
The exhibit, sponsored by GLEAM, Office of Institutional Diversity, moqa and Women's & Gender Studies, will be up in the Abernethy Room through Friday, April 25.