An Apology to My Readers

Last week in my article “Empathizing with Mental Illness,” I made some serious errors that offended some readers. First, I want to apologize to those I offended and to the Middlebury Campus editorial staff. I accept responsibility for my submission.

Even more importantly, however, I want to thank the readers who reached out to me in response to the article. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Ada Santiago ’13.5, who talked with me face-to-face for almost an hour, helping me recognize where and how I went wrong. How she engaged me in dialogue diplomatically, thoughtfully and openly epitomizes what I believe we are at Middlebury to do: to teach and learn from one another.

My article concerned topics beyond my expertise and, despite my best intentions, reflected the very stigma that I had hoped to denounce and call attention to. For example, by lumping a broad and diverse range of mental diseases and disorders into the non-specific category of “mental illness,” I repeatedly implied a negative normative judgment upon individuals with mental disorders. This example, along with other aspects of the piece, was deeply problematic and unacceptable. Rather than enumerate and apologize for each individual instance in which erred, I encourage those with more expertise than myself to deconstruct, debate and even denounce what I wrote.

I am learning from my mistake(s), both personally and as a writer. I once again apologize and appreciate the civil, thoughtful response of readers when resentful, anonymous postings would have been justified.