Ben-official

Author: Ben Benson

Over the holiday break, as I consumed all sorts of holiday goodies, I decided that I was going to attempt to eat healthier when I returned to Middlebury for J-term. Like most people, I can tell you that eating salad instead of French fries is the healthier choice, but I'd like to go a step beyond that. To do so, I researched several nutrients that the body requires, the suggested optimal proportion of these nutrients and some readily accessible sources.

As a guy, naturally the first nutrient that came to mind was protein. Proteins are one or more chains of amino acids and they are one of the three nutrients the body uses as a source of energy. The other two are carbohydrates and fats. There are several different types of proteins, including the building blocks for all enzymes - hormones and antibodies. Our hair and nails are almost completely made of protein, and of course, protein is essential for muscle growth and repair. Yet, too much protein can lead to a diet with excessive saturated fats and, resultantly several risks, such as clogged arteries.

The average American consumes 50 percent more protein per day than is recommended by the Food and Drug Association (FDA). The FDA suggests that an active male should consume 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight every day that an active female should consume 1.2 grams per kilogram daily. Thus, an active, 160-lb male requires approximately 110 grams of protein per day and an active 125-lb female requires around 70 grams of protein per day.

Typical cafeteria foods that are excellent sources of protein are chicken, fish, beef, eggs, milk, beans, nuts, peanut butter, cheese and some cereals. For the exact grams of protein in these foods check out the charts at: http://www.betterbones.com/bbbb_charts/protein.htm.

A really great source of protein offered everyday in the dining halls that most of us walk right by is cottage cheese. The cottage cheese served here is fat free and is almost pure whey protein. A half cup contains only 80 calories, 6 grans of carbohydrates, and 14 grams of protein. It is a great option at any meal and can be mixed with many foods like fruit, apple sauce, yogurt and ketchup or placed on top of lasagna. Cottage cheese is a great option when trying to lose weight or as an addition to your diet when trying to put on mass.

Also, due to the fact that it is made from soured pasteurized milk, cottage cheese is a great source of calcium. That might not sound too appetizing and maybe the texture is a little unusual, but don't let that stop you from trying it. Nearly one billion pounds of cottage cheese are eaten annually in the United States, and even Little Miss Muffet enjoys a bowl or two. Cottage cheese is not a recently-created food either. Evidence of the cooking of cottage cheese can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. It was a staple in the cottages of colonial America (hence its name) and continues to be a popularly-consumed food in Europe.

So, the next time you are in the dining hall looking for a snack or something healthy, try a bowl of cottage cheese. Morgan might be upset because she'll have to refill the tub a little more often, but you'll be getting a nutritious protein-filled snack. Just remember, protein is an essential nutrient for the human body with countless uses, but overconsumption is possible and won't turn you into Ronnie Coleman.