Butch Varno Relentlessly Pursues His Dreams

Author: Jasmin Johnson

Richard Varno is a recent graduate, who like all recent graduates, still brims with pride when he sees that "thing on the wall." His framed diploma hangs just above his desk, solitary and majestic in an uncluttered area of the wall. "Butch" or "Butchie," as his friends call him, obtained his General Educational Development (GED) after 40 years. That's a long time to have held on to a dream.

"When I first met him, he said to me, 'Kid, you know cerebral palsy? Well, I got it,'" recalled Meredith Steele '03, one of his tutors and "girl heroes." His other heroes and heroines are numerous students who attended Middlebury College throughout Varno's 40-year friendship with the school — students like Ann Lucke '02, Adam Sewall '03 Alicia White, Sara Smith '04 and Annelise Joseph '05, who are his current tutors. Over the years, these tutors have helped him with his physical therapy and his academic subjects — earth science, mathematics, history and writing.

When Varno was 15, he met 18 year-old Terry Colvin from Middlebury College. Colvin and his friends began tutoring Varno in the GED subjects and introducing other college students to him, ensuring that the special friendship between Varno and Middlebury continued through the years.

"Terry is like my big brother — and he takes no credit for how much he has helped me," said Varno of his original college connection, who now works in New York City but remains still a constant source of support to him.

"The GED was such a challenge," said Varno. "I had four tests in a day. And I passed everything except the science section, which I had to take again. There was a lot of pressure because if I didn't make it before New Year, I would have to do it all over again, cause they would change all the rules," he said, remembering the hard work he put into the taking the examination.

"Sure I felt discouraged at times. I wanted to give up so many times. But Adam kept telling me to 'stay focused,' and Coach Reilly said, 'Knock it off, you're so close, don't give up on me.' Terry always taught me that you never give up."

In November 2001, Varno retook his science exam. It was administered to him orally by Sewall (who is now studying abroad in Latin America) because Varno has eyesight difficulties.

Varno said, "I wish they had more support for people like me in public school systems. The teachers have got to care for the kids. They didn't care that I had cerebral palsy when I was in school. If more teachers took the kids under their wings, and if their parents supported them, there wouldn't be so many problems."

Varno soon realized, however, that a student's teachers weren't only those who dedicated their career to the task. In time, Varno found true teachers and motivators in the people he met through Middlebury. One person who he greatly admires is Russ Reilly, director of athletics, who he's known for about 25 years. Reilly, and Jeffrey Brown, coach of the men's basketball team and assistant coach of the men's soccer team, are two of Varno's "favorite people."

Brown and Reilly have arranged for Varno to come to the Middlebury College football and basketball home games. It is a little-known Middlebury tradition that the first-year players of both teams take turns bringing Varno to the other teams' games and driving him home afterwards.

"Most times the kids just volunteer to take Butch. He's great with them," said Brown. The coaches, knowing what a sports fan Varno is, have even let him sit with the team during games.

Reilly credits Varno as a great source of inspiration for the teams that he supports. "He has pictures of the teams all over his room, he has T-shirts and figurines and everything," Reilly said. "He comes to all the games. He really feels like he is part of the program, as he should rightfully feel."

"I like going into [Reilly's] office, stealing his sodas, talking to him," says Varno. "He's been so amazing. He could have easily said, 'No, I don't want this kid on the bench.' But he didn't," Varno commented.

If the College teams inspire Varno, then he returns the favor. According to the players and the coaches, Varno has always been an asset to the teams. Brown described Varno as an affectionate person who would end any game with a hug, win or lose.

"Butch keeps everyone going, his sense of humor being central to how much of an inspiration he is. He knows all the players on the team. And he teaches them about commitment and teamwork, his own educational project being all about that as well," Brown added.

Such a true display of sportsmanship is not surprising coming from a man whose greatest dream has been to be a basketball coach.

"If I could be anything, I would coach a men's basketball team. I would be tight on the rules," Butch said in a softer tone.

"He's basically accepted his condition, and Butch says that he has come to accept what he can and cannot do," said Lucke.

Varno has always busied himself with the things he enjoys doing. He listens to books on tape (which he receives for free from the state library) and watches the news. He keeps abreast of political developments. With the aid of some of his tutors, he has kept a journal of anecdotes over the years.

Lots of little difficulties challenge Varno daily. He often slips down his chair, for instance, but his friends are usually there to help pull him up. His wheelchair has no padding and hurts his back. "Sometimes I get frustrated," said Butch. "Sometimes."

"His sensitivity for the world around him is outstanding. He is at peace with what he can and cannot do," Reilly echoed.

Steele agreed. "It is good that he tells you what he needs. He is a really good communicator." Lucke added that he teaches his tutors how to best support him. He also provides them the encouragement and vision for his future that they sometimes need him to supply.

"He's definitely a journey person, not a destination person. After he graduated, he was like 'we need another project,' because he had enjoyed so much the process of learning," Lucke continued.

It is heartening to note that the 40-year wait did not embitter nor disenchant him. Varno is thoroughly appreciative of all the help he has recieved, and he is always happy to get to know new tutors.

"I want you to thank the kids," he said at the end of his interview for this article. "I think it's essential that you write about how they helped me."

He held Lucke's hand, saying, "She's been my emotional support. Graduation will be a hard time for me."

"People love Butch because he is always there for them. He's always there," Lucke said. With graduation in just a couple of months, she will miss him and she hopes that there will be others who will have the friendship passed on to them.

Those wishing to help Varno get a new wheelchair or help in his tutoring can contact Ann Lucke '02.