Campus spotlight on new Midd professors

Author: Dina Magaril

GRACE CHO

Assistant Professor of Psychology

Assistant Professor of Psychology Grace Cho, known simply to students as Grace - she prefers that they address her informally - is one of Middlebury's newest professors. A Los Angeles native and former Bay Area resident, Cho received her undergraduate degree at the University of California at Santa Cruz and then took a year off to travel. Though Cho says she was always interested in psychology, she didn't choose it as a profession until long after college. In fact, she started out studying dentistry and then moved on to interior design before opting to specialize in developmental psychology. Cho described her brief experience working as a clinical psychologist as "eye opening."

"I think it takes a certain kind of personality to work in those clinics and a lot of emotional strength," said Cho of her time spent at the clinic. "I would just feel so drained and sad after work." From there, Cho enrolled at the University of Illinois, where she acquired most of her teaching experience. There she taught courses on child psychology and social development, in addition to working in various psychological labs.

So how did this California girl end up in the hills of Vermont? "I wanted to be at a school that was supportive of research but that would also encourage me to be a better teacher," Cho said. She currently teaches an introductory psychology class as well as one on social and personality development. Cho said she's adjusting surprisingly well to her surroundings even though she did have a few misunderstandings on campus. "People thought I was a student," she laughed. "I went into Old Chapel to deliver some papers and they told me students weren't allowed in that building." Despite being mistaken for an undergrad, Cho said her transition has been relatively smooth. In fact, she was surprised at how many students stopped by her room - she lives on campus in faculty housing - just to say hello. "I thought they were students in my class who wanted to say hi," she said, " but it turns out they were just your regular Middlebury students."

KELLY COLE

Visiting Assistant Professor of American Civilization

Visiting Professor of American Civilization Kelly Cole '94 had little trouble finding her way around campus the first day of classes. Cole, who previously taught an American Civilization course at Middlebury in 2001, actually attended Middlebury 11 years ago. "Everyone wants to come back here," she said, "and I was lucky enough to have that opportunity."

Cole received her graduate degree from the University of Wisconsin in Media and Cultural studies. The new professor currently teaches two courses at Middlebury: "TV and American Culture" and "The Cultural History of Advertising."

Since Cole's energy in the classroom is infectious, one would never guess that she actually commutes to campus every weekend and has good reason to be tired when she gets here. "I live in D.C. and take a plane every weekend," she said. "It's really not that bad. I stay up late and I'm kind of nocturnal so I find the time to do what I need to get done."

Though Cole was a student only a little over a decade ago, she doesn't believe all that much has changed. "The buildings are a whole lot nicer," she joked, "but the students are the same. They're active and interesting and everyone does so much."

She herself was very active while studying at Middlebury. Cole sang with the Mischords and was one of the founding members of Otter Nonsense, Middlebury's improv comedy group. Asked if she had any bad memories of Middlebury, Cole shook her head. "I guess we all tend to romanticize a school once we leave it."

Cole especially likes spending time with professors she had when she was a student and feels lucky that she has the opportunity to get to know some of her favorite teachers outside of the classroom. "I got to see a whole new side to my old teachers. They don't just lecture, they have families, they're real people," she said.

And for those of you that have lost all hope of finding true love at Middlebury, look no further than Cole for inspiration. "My husband was in the year before mine at Middlebury," she said. "But we had nothing in common, I was an English major, he majored in Chinese and Political Science." Though she plans to leave after teaching a J-Term class on horror films, Cole says she wants to continue teaching, probably in the D.C. area. "I love teaching," she said "and I'll definitely stick to it."

JILL COLEMAN

Visting Instructor in Psychology

Another new young face in the Psychology Department is that of Visiting Instructor in Psychology Jill Coleman. Like Cho, Coleman received her graduate education at the University of Illinois. "I knew of Grace through mutual friends," she said "but it's a total coincidence that we both ended up working here."

Coleman grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and received her undergraduate degree from Loyola University. Coleman received her doctorate in social psychology and is interested in the topic of social identity - "basically how people think of themselves when they are in social groups," she said. Coleman has also done research on gender differences, and is currently doing research on people's perceptions of stay-at-home dads versus working fathers. "It's a new thing that hasn't been done a lot before," she said. Like Cho, Coleman began her teaching career at the University of Illinois. I was 22 and teaching courses," she said, "and even though I'm a shy person, I really liked it." Coleman heard about Middlebury through a friend and was intrigued by the focus on teaching at the College. Coming from a big research institution, she was excited about the community at Middlebury. "Everyone here is so amazingly friendly,"she said, "and I am just constantly amazed by the view." Although Coleman was quick to adjust to Middlebury, some of her city habits stayed with her. "I always lock my door," she says. Asked if Middlebury was lacking in anything Coleman thought a moment and then replied, "there's no real Chicago deep dish pizza here, the closest place is in Burlington!"

Coleman also had a run-in with mistaken identity her first week on campus. "I was walking around with my camera and taking pictures to send to my friends when an administrator asked me if I was a perspective student," she joked. "Grace [Cho] was mistaken for a college student but they thought I was still in high school!"

Coleman has a three-year appointment at the College and is teaching an introductory psychology course as well as a senior seminar on social identity. Since she has a lighter schedule this semester she hopes she will be able to continue with her research work. Coleman said she always heard that Middlebury students were demanding and so far, they have not proven her wrong. "The students here are always challenging me," she said.