'Chalex'ellence at Relay for Life

Author: H. Kay Merriman

It's 3 a.m. on Saturday morning and the hundreds of walkers who swarmed the soccer field Friday afternoon to participate in Middlebury's annual cancer fundraiser Relay for Life have dwindled to just over two dozen to partake in the "Brave Souls" lap. At random, yawning students receive prizes for their efforts. But there are two brave souls who can't go unrecognized in Relay's success.

Meet "Chalex," the duo who lost far more than a single night of sleep in the process of organizing Relay for Life. Alex Braunstein '09 and Chandler Koglmeier '09 were the co-chairs behind this year's Relay. They affectionately refer to themselves as "Chalex," and the nickname speaks to their ability to work together. All school year, they have been overseeing a 60-person Relay for Life Committee of students, faculty and community members, holding monthly committee meetings and interacting with Relay team captains and participants all in anticipation of April 20th.

"We make sure all the hard work of our committee members gets meshed together," said Koglmeier. This past Friday night, their hard work reached fruition as students, professors and community members came together to console those who had lost family and friends to cancer, celebrate with those who had overcome the disease and raise money for future cancer research at Middlebury's fourth annual Relay for Life.

This year, explained Koglmeier, Relay was the largest student-run fundraiser Middlebury has ever experienced. And it is no small feat to gain such a large backing on a campus that has so many student activists competing for student interest in so many different causes.

This year's event drew 80 teams and an estimated 1,000 walkers. Participants said they are involved with Relay for a myriad of reasons. Some participate because they have witnessed the pain that cancer can cause.

"Two of my grandparents have died of cancer and I figure I'll probably get it some day. So, I want the cure," said Miranda Tsang '09.

Others who have not been directly effected by cancer participated in the event to support those who have and to share in the sense of community Relay for Life provides. "It's like a big block party!" commented Maria Dickinson '07.

But what about those who make Relay happen? Why do they Relay?

Braunstein commented on the effect of having such a large group of people work together. "I couldn't help smiling a little seeing over 1,000 people gathered together in the middle of the night, even when most of them were crying. Because that's what Relay does - it brings people and community together," she said.

In addition to working diligently before the event, Chalex truly experienced every minute of it. They spent many a sleepless night ensuring that the event ran smoothly and reminding themselves to step back and take in the power of it all. "I didn't realize how emotionally invested I was until I started walking away at 9 a.m Saturday morning, having been on that field and awake for more than 26 hours straight, and felt physically unable to just leave it behind," said Braunstein.

So, why does Chalex Relay?

"I Relay because as I get older, most of the people I know will probably have cancer or have someone really close to them with cancer. I Relay for the future generation," said Braunstein.

Koglmeier characteristically echoed his partner's sentiments exclaiming, "The same goes for me!"

And although the event was a success, Chalex's duties are not quite finished.

"My plans now consist of some follow-up meetings, planning our VIP reception at Otter Creek, picking new co-chairs for next year, writing up a committee, sending out some thank-you notesÖ"

Yet perhaps her most important plan for Relay wrap-up, says Braunstein, is "actually having a healthy phone and e-mail relationship with Chandler."

And next week if you see Chalex around campus walking in circles at 3 a.m., thank them for their hard work, and remind them that it's okay to stop now.