Chili Warms Cold Festival Visitors

This Sunday, the streets of downtown Middlebury overflowed with hungry patrons at Middlebury’s sixth annual Chilifest. The booths, run by professional chefs and amateurs alike, dished out over 50 kinds of chili for the annual event.

For just five dollars, attendees enjoyed a variety of chilis, which were organized into six categories: Beef, pork, chicken, game, ‘kitchen-sink’ and veggie. Colored balloons marked each category, and allowed attendees to navigate the dense crowds and vote for their favorite types.

The chilis ran the flavor gamut, from the cider-inspired chili of Woodchuck to the maple beef ‘sweet and spicy’ chili of Morgan’s Tavern. Many booths opted for a multi-step approach, layering their chili with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. Fritos, cornbread and chips complemented the chilis at many booths.

Freezing winds forced some attendees to seek shelter wherever they could find it, from local shops to the empty lobby of Middlebury National Bank. Although temperatures dipped below freezing, organizers were happy with attendance; the final tally could exceed the 5,000 that attended last year’s event.

Most booths were managed by restaurants, but others, like Cycle Wise or Brandon Music, joined in the festivities as well.

Despite the spirited atmosphere of the event, the competition is fierce. The winner of the $1000 grand prize, Middlebury Men’s Cross Country, began perfecting their unique apple and habanero chili weeks before the event.

Tourterelle Restaurant and Inn took second for the second year in a row, and the dark horse of the event, Vermont Shade and Blind, took third with their pulled pork chili. For full results, visit the festival’s Facebook page.

Patrons submit tokens to their favorite chilis, which are tallied at the end of the event.

“The chips were actually weighed this year,” reported Denise Chan ‘16, a volunteer at the event. “Counting them took way too long in the past.”

Denise was relegated to the popular Greg’s Meat Market. She reflected positively on her busy experience as a way to reach out to the local community.

“It was nice because I’m usually just trapped in the ‘Midd college bubble,’” she remarked. Her favorite? The classic Middlebury Snow Bowl chili.

When they weren’t chowing down, attendees could enjoy live music from local band “The Grift,” watch street performers, or even have their faces painted. The largely volunteer-run event has been ranked as one of the top 10 winter events by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce for the past four years, and organizers hope to replicate this year’s success again in 2015.