College Republicans and Democrats memorialize 9/11

The national tragedy that rocked the world nine years ago was commemorated in an event organized by the College Republicans and the College Democrats on Sept. 10-11.

On Friday, a group of students from both organizations planted 3,033 American flags on the lawn in front of Mead Chapel, one for each victim of the terrorist attacks that occurred on Sept. 11, 2001. On Saturday — the ninth anniversary of the catastrophe — the event’s organizers read each victim’s name aloud, alternating in half-hour shifts starting at 9:11 a.m. The reading also took place in front of the Chapel.

september11reading-andrewpodrygula-color-1-of-2c-680x1024

Rachel Pagano ’11, co-president of the College Republicans, was the event’s primary organizer.

“I believe that Sept. 11 should be memorialized not because of some continuing vendetta or out of a sense of anger, but out of a sense of patriotism to our country and remembrance of the innocent people that died that day,” Pagano said. “It should be a time of unity between political factions and groups where we can mourn together as Americans.”

Pagano stressed the importance of the event’s bipartisanship, especially during such a notably partisan era in the United States’ political history.

“The flags were merely a way of remembering the people without reference to political bias,” she said. “Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats were trying to make a political statement by this event.”

Will Bellaimey ’11, president of the College Democrats, echoed Pagano’s emphasis on bipartisanship.

“It was very important to both [Pagano] and me that it be an apolitical memorial,” he said. “The victims of Sept. 11 were Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, Christians, Jews and Muslims. Their memory should never be invoked to justify the cynical political aims of any party.”

Dunja Jovicic ’13, the other co-president of the Republicans, also participated actively in the ceremony.

“Sept. 11 is obviously a very emotional day, but it’s also a day that has slipped into the back of people's minds and thoughts,” she said. “By reading all of the names of all of the victims, the statistic turns into something more personal, and allows each individual to be remembered.”

The leaders of both organizations expressed appreciation for the opposite party members’ meaningful participation.

“The Middlebury Republicans deserve praise for creating a respectful and apolitical memorial,” said Bellaimey. “I was glad to be a part of it.”

“It was really nice to have this commemoration be co-sponsored by the College Dems,” said Jovicic. “It was a way to break down party lines and differences, and do something really meaningful and nice.”

The Republicans “are a group of students dedicated to presenting conservative values, opinions and beliefs on campus,” as their mission statement reads online.  They meet Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. in the Crest Room in the McCullough Student Center.  The Democrats meet on Tuesdays at 9:00 p.m. at the Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest to discuss issues facing the nation and the Democratic Party, and to organize events during election season.