Cook hosts Special Olympics gala Second annual dance celebrates community connections

Author: Dina Magaril

Cook Commons played host to the Special Olympics dance last Friday, April 14 in the Kirk Alumni Center. All of Cook commons as well as the rest of the Middlebury community were invited to attend the dance along with the Addison County Special Olympics team. This is the second time Cook has held this dance - a similar event was held last year.

One of the organizers of the event, Cook Commons community service liaison Ashley Calkin '06 said the event's purpose was to "foster a relationship between College students and the local Special Olympics team." Co-Coordinator Lynn Gray '07 added, "The athletes don't have a lot of opportunities to get together as a large group, so the dance was a perfect opportunity for them to reunite. Also, it was a great way for College students to get to know some of the amazing people who live and work in the local community." Calkin also headed up the "Special Olympics Bingo Night," held this past fall.

About 40 athletes and their family members and 15 volunteers from the College attended the event. Gray described the dance as successful because "it united College students and community members in an event where everyone seemed to be on an equal playing field."

Those who attended described the dance floor as packed - students were laughing and limboing to the music. Among the night's highlight events was a performance by a group called "Can Do Dancers." The group brought an important message about tolerance and respect to the event. The troupe has been performing for elementary school students all over Addison County. Gray served as the dance's DJ, and she recalled the experience fondly and described the most popular requests as those for YMCA, Shania Twain, 80's rock, Backstreet boys and other well-known pop hits.

The dance is set to become an annual Cook-sponsored event, as Cook Commons members who have previously participated in the event have developed a special bond with the Special Olympics team.