Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Council Issues Social House Evaluations, Places ADP on Probation

Author: Claire Bourne

Community Council concluded a lengthy review of Middlebury College's six social houses Monday.

After six weeks of closed-door deliberations, the Council voted to continue Omega Alpha (Tavern), The Mill, Kappa Delta Rho (KDR) and Xenia. Alpha Delta Phi (ADP) and Zeta Theta Phi (ZOO) were continued on "provisional" status with stipulations that must be addressed before next year's review. Acting President Ronald Liebowitz accepted all the recommendations.

The Community Council subcommittee on social and academic interest houses, charged with conducting the review and issuing recommendations for each social house to the Council, was "split" on the fate of ADP, according to a letter informing ADP President Bob Wainwright '03 of the review results. Some members of the subcommittee voted for termination while others recommended that the house be continued with stipulations.

Community Council spent most of its closed executive session time debating ADP's future. "Alpha Delta Phi is at a crucial moment in its history, and it has many areas that must improve," the letter asserted.

If ADP does not "fully comply" with all conditions established as a result of this year's review, the Council "will recommend discontinuation next year."

ADP will serve a one-semester probation beginning on Sept. 1, during which the registration of on- or off-campus parties, rush activities and pledge events will be prohibited.

House membership and leadership will still be permitted, and have been "encouraged" by Community Council, to convene. Regular social activities will be allowed to resume in spring 2003 provided that ADP has met the Council's requirements.

Wainwright forwarded the letter to ADP membership Monday afternoon. "Not surprisingly, most are upset by the decision," he said. "Many of us were confident that if the College gave us the necessary tools, we would be able to put together an amazing year. Unfortunately, a good fall semester with a well-run pledge is one of those tools."

The unauthorized release of a confidential Community Council document to ADP membership in late March prompted speculation that house would be terminated at the end of this year. Wainwright said he was "glad" that the Council decided not to disband ADP, however he added, "I think the administration is aware that [these] stipulations have made it hard for ADP to turn itself around immediately next year."

He said that several administrators "have made it clear that they wish to work with the house and help it in any way they can" but also pointed out, "There are others who are not so open-minded."

Other stipulations include an increased respect for house property and College policy, compliance with Middlebury's "hazing" guidelines, the establishment of "an internal body to deal with inappropriate behavior of members" by September and at least one meeting with Community Council during the fall to discuss the house's progress in the outlined areas.

The spring 2003 Community Council review will "take into account the totality of ADP's progress and contributions at that time in its consideration and recommendations," the letter continued.

Although Wainwright called the set of stipulations "harsh" and said they "certainly set back the agenda [ADP was] hoping to pursue," he affirmed that ADP "remain[ed] committed to becoming a productive student society on this campus."

Participants in the College's social house system, as well has Community Council members, have recently criticized the review process for its lack of transparency.

Community Council's April 17 meeting marked the first formal exchange between social house leadership and the Council since Doug Adams, director of the Center for Campus Activities and Leadership and subcommittee chair, met with each house's president and vice-president during Winter Term. During this January meeting, Wainwright, who had just begun his tenure as ADP president, said Adams gave him no indication that disbandment of the house was a possibility.

"There appears to be a sentiment among certain administrators that the social houses are a lost cause, and it is only a matter of time before they are replaced entirely with the commons," Wainwright asserted. He said that continued pressure on the College's social house system and a consistent reduction in the number of open on-campus parties would cause "social life at Middlebury [to] move completely from places where it can be controlled to places where it cannot, in individual rooms and off-campus houses."

He added, "There are serious dangers associated with that possibility, and I am sorry to say that the change has already begun."

ZOO has been charged by Community Council to improve its respect for property and College policy record. "Zeta Theta Phi has made some progress this year, and there are clearly many strengths of the house," said the letter sent to ZOO President Mike Frissora '03. "Before the next review, [the house] must make satisfactory improvement on the stipulations."

Although continued on permanent status, Tavern, The Mill, KDR and Xenia have been asked to heed a variety of suggestions — less alcohol related citations, improved compliance with College smoking policies, fewer noise complaints and developing a better understanding of the house's mission, respectively.

Student Co-chair of Community Council-elect Ben LaBolt '03 said at Monday's Community Council meeting that an evaluation of the social house review process would top the Council's fall agenda. He presented Council members with a preliminary draft of new language that would ultimately govern next year's review process.

The document split expectations into three sections — regulations, stipulations and development initiatives — and is intended, once the finalized version is ratified next semester, to clearly communicate Community Council's expectations for the College's social house system.