Culinary Cures for Unavoidable Spring Fever

Author: Emily Lord and Caitlin Vaughn

BiHalloritis or Starrolitis are two highly contagious diseases that run rampant at Middlebury. These diseases can be transmitted through contact with infected bodily fluids or not eating the proper foods. The best medicine for these debilitating diseases is plenty of rest, sunshine and following our advice, or at least plenty of sunshine. These are especially dangerous when one is also afflicted with the almost inevitable case of spring fever. These two powers combined can land you in Porter, or at least in bed. Combat these terrible afflictions with a 15 second hand wash, and, more importantly, with plenty of time away from the travails of academia. Middlebury students seem to have gotten this message.
Spring seems to have finally arrived, and like the veritable groundhog, students are finally coming out of their rooms into the bright sunshine, ready to face the world after a long, hard winter. The athletic fields, hiking trails and sidewalks are filled with smiling faces...Although sometimes the occasional red and dead face, struggling to stay vertical after a tough run. If you're an athlete of any sort, whether it be a runner in search of a more sprightly step or a lacrosse player looking for relief after being ploughed over at practice, you're probably arriving at the dining halls dirty, sweaty and hungry. By the way, we'd just like to point out that at least one dining hall is open until 8 p.m. every night, so there is plenty of time to shower after most sports practices. Spring thaw means muddy fields, muddy paths and muddy feet, but if "mud brown" is the new black, and "earth" is the scent of the season, we'll let the stains and aroma slide. For now.
Yet, as we launch ourselves into spring activities, on or off the field, most of us are trying to avoid the pitfalls of winter dining and are looking for something to match our mood. Make your food match the new season, colorful and fresh, not bland and bleak like Vermont in winter. One cannot discount the psychological factor of a change in dining-hall scenery. Perhaps this means the semi-annual trek to FIC to witness the wonder of its salad bars. Or, if your schedule (or blisters) prevent you from hiking across campus, try changing your culinary scenery with a few new dishes, fresh and ready for spring. One easy goal to have for springtime dining is to make your plate as colorful as possible. Foods such as carrots, peppers, broccoli, squash and other green, yellow, orange and red fruits and vegetables have many good vitamins and minerals that will help you stay healthy and outside, rather than sick and inside. Or perhaps try an ingredient you've never tried before. We recommend a trip around the spice bar, as this is also an easy way to put some pep(per) in your soup, salad or sandwich. Or, to carry over a salad from a lighter meal to a more substantial one, try adding grilled chicken breast, sliced ham or turkey, or other sources of protein. If all else fails (especially if you start to feel the onset of one of the above mentioned diseases), try some of these recipes and jump-start your spring!

Em's Easy Tsatsiki Spread:
In a small bowl, combine several cucumber slices, chopped finely, a dollop each of plain yogurt and sour cream, and dill and garlic powder to taste. This spread is quick and goes well on both salad and sandwiches.
Caitlin's Inside-Out Pizza Pocket:
In a pita or wrap, place broccoli and artichokes, a scoop of feta cheese and a scoop of mozzarella, and a sprinkle each of thyme, basil and garlic powder. Drizzle with olive oil. Place on griddle and cook for about 5 minutes or until pocket is golden brown, and enjoy!
Chicken and Artichoke Salad:
In a bowl, combine chicken pieces (or shredded turkey slices), an oil-based Italian dressing, artichoke hearts, green peppers and cucumber. Depending on what's available, add pesto or dijon mustard, or a scoop of penne pasta, toss and pour over bed of salad greens.
Peppy Pita Pizza:
Toast a piece of pita bread (or two!). While toasting, combine peppers, onions, carrots, corn, olives, mushrooms and broccoli (or whatever you like) in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a dab of butter, rosemary and salt and pepper and cook in microwave for one to two minutes. Meanwhile, back at the toaster, cover the pita bread with a layer of cream cheese. Spread cooked veggies over pita, and eat up!