Dating game host offers tips on love The Campus joins guru Will Surrette for a candid chat

Author: Rachael Jennings

On Friday, Feb. 13, the Center for Health and Wellness hosted the "'Find Me Someone to Love Dating Game,' " a hilariously entertaining quest to find love at Middlebury. Will Surrette '10, who was a contestant last year and hosted the event this year, offered The Campus his opinions and thoughts on dating, love and everything in between.

The Middlebury Campus: You were a contestant in the dating game last year. How did you get involved?
Will Surrette: Last year Matt Groh '10 signed me up on my computer. Apparently, I was sort of funny. Jyoti Daniere, the director of the Health and Wellness Center, thinks I have potential and she wanted me in this again. She asked if I was interested in being a contestant or a host.

MC: Why did you decide to host?
WS: I'm an attention whore, I guess. I felt like it would be fun. That way I could be up there all of the time instead of part of the time. It got to be my show.

MC: What were the highlights of last year's show? The low points?
WS: The real highlights were people telling me their favorite parts afterwards. Dave DeMarkis '10 and Chris Wood '10 were in the back laughing and Chris was telling him how funny it was that I was swearing into the mic and then he said that halfway through, he realized I was wearing a bowtie for the occasion and I just lost it. I also enjoyed arguing with one of the contestants.
The low was probably that I was really nervous beforehand. I thought I was going to come across as the weird fat kid trying to score a date with a chick. I was kind of sweaty.

MC: What about this year?
WS: The high was telling Cedar that the microphone is not a listening implement. The low - the fact that it seemed to drag a bit long.

MC: What is your idea of the perfect date?
WS: It would start out at like 4:00 in the afternoon. It would be a picnic with a few people there - my buddies would be there. I would probably be eating turkey sandwiches. As the sun would start to set, we would all go off our separate ways. It would end with me and my date hanging out, holding hands. I'm sort of a sucker for that kind of thing. And then we would watch the stars.

MC: What are definite warning signs of a date gone wrong?
WS: I've only been on a few dates and none went terribly. One of the flags I did get during one date was that she started making out with my friend.

MC: How would you, as a bachelor, give advice to Middlebury guys looking for love?
WS: Be yourself. Put yourself out there. I live in Stewart 410. I'm a good listener and I've been described as being a teddy bear.

MC: What is the perfect date movie and why?
WS: [laughing] Not The Good Shepherd. That went horribly. Probably The Princess Bride. I also recommend Garden State. It has a soft spot in my heart.

MC: What do you think your strengths are as a host for "The Dating Game"?
WS: I love attention, I can't deny that. People also tend to think I'm funny.
MC: Does the Dating Game really help romance at Midd? What do you think would help?

WS: It's a start. People are always going to get drunk and hook up, though. What would help is if people were more proactive, less shy, less phony, willing to get out of the rut of a Saturday-night hookup and hangover. People have to be more creative. Because there's no bowling alley in town. Also, there's no arcade.

MC: If you had to make a personal ad for yourself, what would it say?
WS: My lawyer has advised me not to answer that question.