'Del Boca Vista' Lays Down the Groove and Busts Ghosts

Author: Meghan Keenan

When a band names itself after Jerry Seinfeld's parents' retirement community, you know they have to be an original and refreshing group of musicians. And this band lives up to its name. Comprised of sophomores Simon Perkins, Colby Hewitt, Dave Irwin, Taylor Davis and Danny Greenstein, these boys really know how to put on a great show that gets everyone bouncing to the music.
Formed this past fall during a blackout at their collective residence of Homestead, the group saw the unexpected power failure as an omen to begin something new. Having previously been in high school bands, but never finding such an outlet here at Middlebury, the blackout provided them the opportunity to put their musical talents into practice once again. Originally christening themselves Everyone Gets Laid, they soon realized that Del Boca Vista was a more appropriate name because, as Perkins puts it, "someone needed to name a band after it!" Combining the sounds of bass, guitar, drums, congas and saxophone, the band alternates lead vocals to produce an eclectic mix of sound that lends itself to an indefinable style of music.
The first show was an overwhelming success. The band had been together for less than a month when they were asked to play the Men's Rugby Formal. Under great pressure, the band gave an incredible performance which gave each member the desire to make the group work.
Despite living under the same roof, the band rarely finds time to practice together, which they believe is their greatest fault. This reflects the difficulties associated with being a college band. The members of the band are involved in different sports and activities, making their schedules difficult to coordinate.
Nevertheless, Del Boca Vista provides Middlebury with a new and unique sound that caters to almost any musical taste. Classifying themselves as "groove, funk rock," the band plays everything from rap to bluegrass, Gloria Estefan to the Smashing Pumpkins.
A personal favorite of the band is currently the Ghostbusters theme song, to which, Hewitt points out, "even Security likes to groove." The band also loves to close with the anthem of the television show "Cheers," which puts everyone in an incredible mood.
Besides doing covers that traverse every musical genre possible, the band also plays originals, mostly written by Greenstein. Group members themselves represent a wide variety of musical preferences. According to Perkins, "Our own listening pleasures are as random as the music we play." Whatever type of music you are in the mood for, these guys can do it.
In addition to the music, Del Boca Vista also has the amazing ability to exude pure enjoyment whenever they are together. Finding joy in every aspect of band life, the band relishes their recently acquired mascot an as-yet-unnamed alien. The alien has become a permanent fixture at all of their rehearsals and performances ever since he "hopped into the back of our van and followed us home" from a certain location on campus.
Their alien appears to be the sixth member of the band, taking on such responsibilities as lighting up during the Ghostbusters theme song and "zapping anyone that gets out of line with his ray gun." They also have no shame, because as Perkins admits, "We're basically in the band to get girls." Giving themselves clout as "very single, successful and disease-free," they possess a playful approach to the band that comes through in their music.
It is this versatility and joviality that is feeding Del Boca Vista's growing popularity at Middlebury. Having played at various on-and-off campus venues throughout the year, the band has become a vital part of the music scene here and "it just gets better with every show," Davis says. Saturday night's recent performance at an off-campus semi-formal opened up the band to a whole new audience and revealed its ability to transmit its infectious enthusiasm to a crowd.
Their upbeat and uninhibited set list held the attention of all who attended and had everyone dancing and singing along. By the end of their set, they had achieved their mission of converting a new set of groupies to their lifestyle.
Highlights of the show included the thundering drumming of Irwin, the smooth sax of Perkins and the melodic voice of Greenstein. The semi-formal performance also marked the first appearance of the congas of Davis. Recently, the percussion section was updated from a dijembie and the new sound is remarkable.
This latest success has led them in search of future engagements in an attempt to add to the Middlebury music scene recently opened up due to the graduation of popular bands, such as The Reel. Although they "really want to get paid," they are more interested in getting their name out there and providing good music and an entertaining atmosphere to everyone they can.
The future looks bright for Del Boca Vista. At a recent performance, it was approached by representitives of various social houses and boarding schools -- all looking to sign the band for a performance. The members are also looking to other colleges for venues to perform.
If you haven't had a chance to partake in one of their performances, keep your eyes and ears open. You never know when the alien will light up next.