Diamond warns of societal 'Collapse'

Author: Nathan Zucker

Jared Diamond, author of the recent best seller "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed," delivered a dramatic lecture to a crowded Mead Chapel on April 24. In a sometimes frightening talk, Diamond discussed the reasons for which some civilizations flourish while others are doomed to flounder. He then critically examined our own society, emphasizing that ecological issues could be its demise, as they were to the Maya and Easter Island civilizations. Although Diamond was optimistic that communication and ingenuity can save the modern world, he warned the large audience of the hubris of resource mismanagement and personal isolation from problems.

As a basis for his argument, Diamond gave a long list of societies that have historically either failed or prospered. Pitcairn Island, Easter Island, the Maya and the Anasazi were four examples of complex, well-developed civilizations that fell into ruin. For the Maya, it was deforestation and the ruling elites disregard of emerging problems that led to the collapse. On Easter Island, excessive clear-cutting of tropical forests led to a lack of resources, civil war and eventual cannibalism. Large stone statues are the only remains of the people that once thrived on a landmass 1,400 miles from the nearest inhabited island.

"Easter Island, isolated in the Pacific Ocean, is a metaphor for our planet," said Diamond. "If we destroy our own planet, there'll be no other galaxy to which to flee."

However, Diamond was not all doom and gloom in his examples of how societies have fared over the course of history. Iceland, a nation isolated from most of the world both geographically and culturally, has become a huge success story. With its emphasis on social welfare, renewable energy and stable government, it has become the seventh richest country worldwide. Similarly, Japan, which suffered from severe deforestation, created an effective ecological policy to retain its natural resources. It, too, is now prospering economically. Diamond also pointed out the longevity of New Guinea, a society that has been in continual existence for 46,000 years. Overall, Diamond pointed out that it is each civilization's individual decision whether to achieve success or fade into obscurity.

Diamond did not limit his lecture to history. Referring to his book "Collapse," he highlighted the state of Montana as a society in peril. Problems of toxic chemicals, aquifer depletion, soil erosion and global warming are now affecting the once pristine state.

"Glacier National Park is about to be misnamed. At the rate global warming is going, it'll be Glacierless National Park. All the glaciers will be gone by the year 2020," Diamond explained.

From all of his research, Diamond came to one overarching conclusion. "What lessons can we learn from history?"

"The most important is to take environmental problems seriously." He added that it is crucial not to balance economic success against environmental degradation, since the two issues are actually inextricably linked. Also, Diamond said, "Insulation of the elite is something that worries me in the U.S.," referring to the upper-class tendency to avoid confronting problems of social or ecological import.

Although Diamond worries about the destructive capacity of an overpopulated, heavily armed world, he is cautiously optimistic for the future.

"We have communications. We have media. That gives us the potential to learn from the messes and the places that are doing well. I hope we will choose to end like the Icelanders, and not with everybody dead like Easter Island," said Diamond.

Afterwards, audience members asked several questions regarding the role of big business in environmental issues, problems with the U.S. government, the capacity of the planet to regenerate, and ways to communicate Diamond's messages to younger people. Diamond was brief and general in his answers, preferring not to reveal too much about his personal opinions.

Student and faculty response to the lecture was largely positive.

"I thought it was a fantastic talk," Max Nardini '08 said. "He made some very innovative and informative points that should be considered. He provides key insight."

"It was interesting," Jamie Henn '07 said. "The lecture was a re-cap of the book. It was well-timed. In two weeks the Board of Trustees will be presented with a carbon neutrality plan. It's great that Diamond recognizes what role universities can play."

Professor of Geography Anne Knowles was also impressed with the lecture.

"He led the audience through the highpoints of Collapse like an eloquent tour guide leading a walk through a museum, pausing just long enough at each diorama to explain the gist of his understanding of a given society's destruction or survival," said Knowles. "Diamond is often criticized by geographers for being an environmental determinist. I didn't hear that in his presentation, for he gave as much emphasis if not more to human choices as to environmental conditions.