Dining hall connoisseurs dish up creativity

Author: Mia Lieb-Lappen and Tess Russell

Looking to spice up your dining hall routine? Some people settle for the same old fish every Friday and sundaes on Sunday, while others get creative and show off their culinary abilities. All it takes a little ingenuity and exploration of some of the hidden treasures that the dining halls have to offer. Students at Ross, Proctor and Atwater have been concocting everything from new sauces to decadent desserts to gourmet panini. Ever wonder why some people take 10 minutes to get through the salad line? And what is the deal with the clutter around the fro-yo machine? Here are some secret recipes that student chefs have agreed to reveal to the public.

the ultimate flatbread

This update on the classic turkey and honey mustard combo incorporates vegetables and two types of cheese for added flavor and nutritional variety. Start with one sheet of lavash flatbread, massage with honey Dijon mustard (and mayo if want to up the calorie count) and sprinkle with feta and mozzarella. Pile on the shredded turkey cold cuts, tomatoes, onions and banana peppers. If you are at Proctor, throw that on the panini machine until both cheeses are fully melted. Suggested beverage: any drink with some fizz-you don't want a flat meal. -Max Kanter

snapping ginger sauce

Does dining hall fish taste bland to you? Sauce your salmon with this gingery teriyaki sauce, created by a recent Midd graduate. Add one part oil to one part soy sauce. Stir kindly with a fork. Add ginger to taste, and feel free to experiment with your other favorite spices. Do not get too sauced, a little of this rub goes a long way. -Ross Lieb-Lappen

apple dapple crunch

Get your daily dose of fruit, dairy, and chocolate all in one, and yes, chocolate is a food group! This dessert can and should be tailored to fill your individual cravings. First, cut apple slices and combine in a cup with cereal and granola. If you want your dessert hot, now is the time to microwave it. Next, add raisins and chocolate chips to the mix and shake vigorously. Top it all off with a splash of milk and swirl or two of vanilla fro-yo. Bring back spoons for sharing. -Molly Elmer-DeWitt

simple start

Can not tolerate dairy? Hate waiting in that Ross omelet line at 8:30 a.m.? Get off to quick and healthy start with a balanced combination of carbs and protein. Mix together granola with your two favorite cereals and tummy-friendly soy milk and you are good to go. For an extra potassium boost, cut up some bananas and add them to your new breakfast. -Tess Russell

maple nut dip

Take advantage of your Vermont surroundings with this new alternative to apples and peanut butter. Stir creamy peanut butter and maple syrup together briskly to create a thinner topping that is more conducive to dipping. Do not feel limited to just apples. Spread on fruit, toast, or even your ice cream. -Trevor Sean Mann-Ohallloman

min'tea' cocoa

Can not decide between tea and hot chocolate? Get the best of both worlds with this unique blend. First brew one mug of peppermint tea, and then add cocoa mix. Garnish with a generous serving of marshmallows and cinnamon. -Alina Levina