Food For Thought — 11/18/10

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the question, “Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?” and now having graduated from culinary school, I only hear the question more often. First, let me tell you one thing: going to culinary school didn’t help me answer this question and even after some research, I’m still not completely sure. Technically, because it has seeds, it’s a fruit. However, it’s not quite that easy ...

Interestingly enough, the U.S. government had the same debate in 1893. Apparently this question was so important that it went to the U.S. Supreme Court, in a case now known as Nix v. Hedden. Why was it so important? Because there was a tariff on imported vegetables, but not imported fruits.

In the case, they classified a tomato as a vegetable, despite the fact that any botanist would say it’s a fruit. One of the main arguments was that tomatoes were usually eaten during the savory part of the meal and rarely eaten as part of a dessert. They also cited the fact that it is a common perception that the tomato  is a vegetable and that in reality, the word “vegetable” is just thrown around.
While I think it’s pretty amusing to imagine a high-end judge arguing that the tomato is a vegetable because we don’t eat it for dessert, they are kind of right. If we really took the formal, botanical definition of a fruit, tons of vegetables should really be considered fruits. Think about all the vegetables that have seeds and therefore should be classified as fruits: zucchini, peppers, eggplants, squashes, cucumbers, the list goes on. You’d basically be left with root vegetables (like carrots) and the cruciferous vegetables (like cabbage).

The debate got even more confusing as I continued to research on what other people thought. According to Oxford Dictionary, the tomato is scientifically a fruit but “cooked as a vegetable.” Can it be both? Apparently, the U.S. thinks so, since the tomato is New Jersey’s state vegetable, but it’s also Ohio’s state fruit. Overall, it seems like there is an overwhelming opinion that the tomato should be considered a vegetable, at least politically. But then recently, the EU said that it should be thought of as a fruit. My God, people, let’s just decide!

Balsamic Stewed Tomatoes

1 1/2 pounds tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 shallot, diced

Core and cut tomatoes into thick wedges. Saute tomatoes with shallots for about 3 minutes, then add in the balsamic vinegar. Keep at high heat so the vinegar reduces into a thick, dark syrup. Season and serve warm.