From Iraq to AIDS Ehrlich Traces Population Trends

Author: Grace Armstrong

"How do you like being citizens of a rogue nation?" Bing Professor of Population Studies at Stanford University Paul Ehrlich asked a capacity crowd in Dana Auditorium on Thursday, March 20, at the beginning of his speech entitled "Population, Consumption, Power and International Ethics."
As the title of his speech and his opening comments suggested, Ehrlich's remarks covered a wide range of subjects, from America's role in Iraq to AIDS drugs used in Africa. He tied his diverse subjects together by focusing on the frequently overlooked role of overpopulation in human consumption of resources.
"The problem of consumption is the major problem facing environmental scientists, ethicists and biologists," he said. The ethical issues of consumption aren't discussed, he continued. He noted that most often, "ethical considerations come up as, 'Is it the God-given right of the U.S. to drive SUVs?'"
Ehrlich stated that population is one of the major forces behind the assault on the world's natural resources. He argued that the world population is already three times greater than its optimal sustainable level.
"We have to face this sooner or later," he said. "Better to do it now while we still have some resources left."
The good news, he noted, is that the problem is better understood today. The bad news is that most people are unwilling to do anything about it.
Ehrlich observed that the consumption patterns of wealthy countries such as the United States are destroying the global environment. But he spoke forcefully against the idea of using unregulated markets to deal with the effects of consumption.
"Look at what the government influence is. We don't want the government making day-to-day decisions, but there are mechanisms that make markets more effective," he said. "If the full social costs of activities were reflected by their prices, markets would be self-regulating."
He admitted that consumption was not an easy thing to change. However, he was adamant that the world could not sustain its current rate of population and consumption growth.
"The death rate solution is fast upon us," he said. "We have set ourselves up for vast epidemiological catastrophes."
Ehrlich outlined several measures that he believed should be taken to slow or reverse today's population and consumption trends. First, he advocated education of women in developing countries, pointing to countries such as Costa Rica where population growth has decreased after aggressive measures were taken to educate the female population about birth control.
He also noted that some private efforts to lower birthrates had been successful. To deal with consumption, Ehrlich said he backed changes in tax policy, including a gradual increase in the taxes on fossil fuels.
"I know that some of the things I've said sound idealistic," he concluded. "But things that I thought were unrealistic 20 years ago are now the only solutions."
This annual lecture commemorates Scott Margolin, an environmental studies major who would have graduated with the class of 1999. He was killed in a car accident at the end of his first year at Middlebury.
Ehrlich wasted no time in attacking tough issues, from population to poverty to war. His opinions are backed by a distinguished resume. In his introduction, Mead Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies Professor Steve Trombulak described some highlights of Ehrlich's career. Ehrlich has authored or coauthored more than 35 books. He has also received numerous awards, including the prestigious Crafoord Prize - the Nobel substitute for areas in which the Nobel Prize is not awarded - for population biology and the conservation of biological diversity.