From the Kitchen of Sasha Swerdloff Recipe Stuffed Kings

The first challenge in learning to cook at college is finding a suitable and well-equipped kitchen. If you don't have a suite or live off-campus, you can visit Weybridge house or contact your Commons Heads. Be sure to respect others' kitchens and clean up after yourself. Also, be sure to make a little extra of whatever you are cooking and leave some for your hosts.

A variation on these rich delicacies first crossed my palate last year at a birthday party potluck. I was standing in the kitchen, sipping champagne, when someone offered me a fresh fig stuffed with a dollop of goat cheese. It was the perfect combination of sweet and salty and dry. I went home, and some friends and I developed our own version, which we call Stuffed Kings!

For this recipe try using Jasper Hill Farm's Bayley Hazen Bleu cheese. This cheese is delicious, well blended, and full-bodied. It has a tangy crispness as well as a rich, nutty, grassy flavor. Jasper Hill Farm, run by brothers Mateo and Andy Kehler, is located in Greensboro, Vt. They produce a variety of soft and hard cheeses with fresh raw milk from their own herd of Ayreshire cows. The Kehlers seek to promote and support the local dairy industry through a model business.

Stuffed Kings
Serves 6
Total preparation time: 45 minutes

Equipment:
Baking sheet

Ingredients:
12 medjool dates
2 cups olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
1/4 pound bleu cheese
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Pit dates by slicing along one side, lengthwise, and pulling out pits. Soak in olive oil and rosemary for 1/2 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Break bleu cheese into small chunks. Stuff soaked dates with cheese and pinch gently to close. Place on a baking sheet. Heat in oven until cheese begins to melt.

Meanwhile, prepare balsamic reduction by simmering balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and stirring constantly, until thick.

Remove dates from oven and drizzle with balsamic reduction.

Feast!