Green author speaks from heart

Author: Mike Murali

Scott Russell Sanders, an English professor at Indiana University at Bloomington and a nationally recognized environmentalist, spoke last Thursday in the Charles A. Dana Auditorium, reading from his recent memoir, "A Private History of Awe." A discussion ensued the following day in the Organic Garden regarding community, sustainability and life as a writer.

Sanders has written extensively on environmental issues, feeling that citizens need to take a more active role in combating pollution and raising awareness of issues of sustainability. Said Jacob Risinger '06, "At base level, I think that much of Mr. Sanders' work is about understanding who we are as a small but important part of a large, complex world." While Sanders has written both novels and short stories, his main focus is literary nonfiction. Among his 19 published works, he has written eight works of fiction and children's books.

Blair Kloman, News Writer for the College's Public Relations department, says, "'A Private History of Awe' is a coming-of-age memoir, love story and spiritual testament in which Sanders traces the corresponding development of his imagination and insightful sense of responsibility." Through both personal stories and commentary, Sanders focuses on understanding one's place in nature, social justice, community and the quest for a spiritual path.

"In terms of the man, he's capable of thinking deeply and openly about important national issues and questions about personal identity without grasping after fact or reason. In this sense, I think he represents the best of the academic world. His work is not flashy or clever but honest ­- and honest attempt to speak about some personalized truth or experience," said Risinger when asked his opinion of Sanders.

In his 1998 book, Hunting for Hope, Sanders writes of the impact of humanity on nature: "We are the only species capable of exterminating other species wholesale, but we are also the only one capable of acting, through love and reason, to preserve our fellow creatures. We are unique in our ability to affect the fate of the planet, but also unique in our ability to predict those effects and to change our ways in light of what we foresee" (133).

The reading and discussion was organized both by Risinger and by Stewart Professor of English and Environmental Studies John Elder. Elder and Sanders are also close friends. Sanders' lecture was co-sponsored by Atwater Commons, the Bread Loaf Writer's Conference, the Department of American Literature and Civilization, the Environmental Studies program, the Middlebury Mountain Club, the Stewart Fund and the Academic Enrichment Fund.

Last Thursday, he spoke of his experiences during the Vietnam War, which drew many responses from the students present because Sanders identified himself as a conscientious objector. Said Risinger, "Students came because Scott brings back the possibility of hope to many of our national discourses that are more often a source of cynicism and frustration. It's good to talk about these things together, reflecting on how the world can become a better place on both a personal and communal level."

More information on Scott Russell Sanders is available at his Web site: www.scottrussellsanders.com.