Jeff Beaney wins family feud Southern Maine coach leads team past Panthers

Author: Jeff Patterson

"The winning number in tonight's 50-50 raffle drawing is 5-3-0-0-1-0," said Dave Sears over the Kenyon Arena loudspeaker on Dec. 1. "Again, 5-3-0-0-1-0."

The sixth game of the season for the Middlebury men's hockey team, against the University of Southern Maine (USM), began in the same way that the winning six-digit ticket number did - with a 5-on-3. Most people in the Saturday afternoon crowd quickly moved to the edges of their seats, thinking that this combination would lead to a win.

But consecutive zeros followed, thanks in part to the spectacular goaltending of Husky, Jamie Gilbert, a transfer from Division-I UMass-Amherst. With only one late tally in the ensuing third period - a Sam Driver '08 lamp-lighter - the game ended with a disappointing zero in the Panther win column. Although the winning ticket was blue, the winning team wore yellow.

The happiest person in the arena, even more elated than the richened ticket-holder, must have been USM head coach Jeff Beaney, who beat his older brother, Bill, for the second straight year, and improved his team's current record to 5-0-1. Four times in his tenure at Southern Maine, Beaney has won five games or less, but this year, he has already matched that mark and it is not even January.

The Huskies' only tie in 2007 came on the previous night, Nov. 30, against Williams. But Gilbert was not in between the pipes for that game. Bouncing back the following afternoon, Gibert, Kyle Smith - who had two second-period goals - and company tied down the Panther offense and downed them 3-1.

Throughout the contest, Southern Maine created congestion in the neutral zone in an effort to slow down the speedy Panthers. When Middlebury was able to get the puck into the offensive zone, the Huskies were more than willing to sacrifice their bodies, blocking many Panther shots before they even reached the crease.

When a puck did find its way to net, Gilbert was more than up to the task. Most of his 30 saves were exceptional and they were no doubt discouraging to the Panther skaters who were attempting to get their team back in the game.

On Friday night at Kenyon Arena, the winning team also scored three goals. The victory, though, went to the Panthers. Facing off against Salem State in their home-opener, the Panthers jumped out to a three-goal lead with Bryan Curran '11, co-captain Scott Bartlett '08 and co-captain Tom Maldonado's '08 first goals of the season.

However, in the third period, Vikings goalie Ryan Hatch battened down the hatches and made six saves, giving his team the opportunity to come back.

With Justin Fox and Sam Cannata strikes, Salem pulled to within one goal, but Middlebury's own goalie, Ross Cherry hung on to post the win.

While Middlebury had gone into the second intermission with three goals on the scoreboard, the Vikings went to the locker room with only three shots on goal.

As Stan Pratt drove the Zamboni out to resurface the ice for the third period, a clever fan in the student section remarked, "You don't need to do this end."

He was right, for Salem State spent so little time on their offensive side of the ice, that it was almost untouched. The same could not be said for the visiting penalty box. David Pazzaglia was whistled for interference, as were Fox and Bill Glynn. Teammate Kevin Huinink was penalized for roughing and only 16 seconds later received a 10-minute misconduct penalty.

On Friday night, Salem shot itself in the skate with penalties. On Saturday afternoon, Middlebury did pretty much the same thing.

After Saturday's shoddy performance, the Panthers undoubtedly need a shot in the arm. Otherwise, Middlebury's hope of repeating as NESCAC champs might become a long shot, or worse, shot to pieces.

Friday night's game on Dec. 7 will not be any easier. Plattsburgh State, winners of four straight, come to town.