Johnny-mac gives presidential history lesson

Author: Dina M. Magaril

President Emeritus of Middlebury College John McCardell, known affectionately by upperclassmen as "Johnny Mac" has returned to Middlebury to teach U.S. History this fall. Additionally, McCardell plans to be an active member in the Middlebury community both on and off campus.

Maegan North '08 attended U.S. History 1492-1861 (HIST 203) on Monday and said McCardell was very enthusiastic about the subject. McCardell discussed what he expects of his students, choosing to focus less on grades and more on social awareness.

"I will make sure you understand the urgency of being informed, aware and educated about our historical past," said McCardell to his class. He added that rather than focusing attention on "numbers" and "percentages," he was more concerned with what each student got out of the course and how they improved by the end of the semester.

"I hope the complexity and excitement of history will separate this class from your previous history courses," McCardell told his students on the first day.

For many of the students, the excitement of the President Emeritus coming back to teach was enough to cause them to enroll. Devin Wardell '06.5, who still remembers McCardell's inspiring speech delivered at her convocation, said she signed up for the class anticipating a certain kind of energy in lecture.

"I registered for Professor McCardell's course with the idea, justified or not, that his lectures will reignite my excitement to learn," said Wardell. "As for today's class, I wasn't disappointed. He made history relevant to my life and the future, rather than just relaying the play-by-play of events."

Since 1976, McCardell has been a full-time member of the History Department, excluding the 13 years during which he was President of the College. When asked about his decision to return to Middlebury to teach, McCardell said he had no doubts about it. "It's the only thing I know how to do!" he joked. McCardell will also be teaching an advanced history seminar, Readings in American History: The Civil War (HIST 405), which he taught while he was president. In fact, McCardell remained an active professor during almost every year of his presidency, stressing how important teaching is to the central mission of the college.

Those who were not able to get into McCardell's class this fall should no worries. McCardell said he wants to stray from his history department roots to teach a new course this January. He hopes to collaborate with Professor of Political Science Eric Davis to teach a J-Term course focusing on critical presidential elections. As for the spring term, McCardell is not scheduled to teach as of yet - his appointment dictates that he will teach two classes per year - but he will remain on call to perform any other tasks Middlebury may ask of him. McCardell has also signed up to work with a group of students on a special project this spring that is funded by a grant and will be an advisor for honors theses throughout the year.

McCardell said he was excited to be back on campus and is especially looking forward to meeting new students, as well as renewing relations with former colleagues. "I am thrilled to think of how many fewer meetings I will have to convene or attend, [and] how many fewer obligations I will need to discharge," he said. He now hopes he will have more time to reconnect with alumni friends when they return to the College.

Aside from teaching and revisiting old friends, McCardell plans to give back to the Middlebury community in other ways. Along with his plans to continue to serve on the National Bank Board of Directors, he plans to give several talks this fall to help the Porter Hospital Auxiliary. McCardell also hopes to become more involved as an "honorary" Rotarian. In addition, he and his wife, Bonnie, are co-chairing the Addison County United Way Campaign.

"You just can't keep an old fundraiser down," said McCardell. He is also serving on the board of the American Center at Historic Tredegar in Richmond, Va.

Luckily for his students, teaching remains a top priority for McCardell, regardless of the numerous other activities he is participating in. "Teaching is, after all, what this College is principally about," he said.

After the first day of class on Monday, North said she was glad that she registered. "[McCardell's] class is an example of the reason why we choose a liberal arts education. I think this class will involve a lot of hard work and interesting challenges," she said. "McCardell seems like a teacher who cares about what we are able to accomplish once we leave the classroom."