Kelly Boe Mourned

On Tuesday, April 14, Kelly Boe, manager of the central biomass heating plant, died in a bicycling accident that took place along Hamilton Road in Weybridge. Boe was riding with his wife, Kathy, when he was struck by a car. His passing was announced in an email sent by Vice President for Finance and Treasurer Patrick Norton.

“Our hearts are broken by this news and know you join me in extending our condolences to the Boe family,” Norton said in his message.

Boe joined Middlebury College as a heating plant operator in 2009 and became a manager in 2013. He had previously worked at Danforth Pewter and KE Durasol. Outside the College, Boe served on the board of directors of the Addison County chapter of Habitat for Humanity and the local United Way.

“Once at Middlebury, Kelly was a key force in helping us exceed our performance expectations for the biomass plant, and [he] was a passionate advocate for our alternative energy initiative,” Norton said.

A service was held on Monday, April 20, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. In addition to his wife, Boe is survived by his daughters Sara, 19, and Andrea, 15.

“This is a very difficult time for us all and, in particular, for Kelly’s colleagues in Facilities Services. We encourage you to make use of the support offered by the College and wider community,” Norton said.