LaForce The Man Behind the Dorm

Author: Alison Damick

The names attached to the buildings on campus and marking the slopes of the Snow Bowl come from a broad range of sources.
From reference to the College's natural surroundings, such as Adirondack House, to memorials of past leaders in the College community, much of the significance of these names gets lost or simply transferred to the structures they designate. One such building is LaForce Hall, whose name is fast becoming part of everyday vocabulary.
Arnold R. LaForce, the hall's elusive namesake graduated from Middlebury College in 1935 and went on to teach at New York University before pursuing a successful career in corporate finance.
While maintaining a distinguished position within his busy profession, serving on multiple corporate boards and working for such firms as Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, El Paso Natural Gas Company, Central Securities Corporation and Darby Advisors, Inc., he co-authored two books, one with Lloyd Ellis Dewey entitled "Question Outline in Corporate Finance." He also became both a champion tennis player and an enthusiastic golfer.
LaForce was a great contributor to the development of his alma mater throughout his life and was a valuable participant in the College community.
He served on the Middlebury Board of Trustees from 1961 until 1980 and was chair of the Board for his last four years of service.
Because of his great achievements in the College's first capital campaign in 1965, he came to be known, as stated in President McCardell's speech at the dedication of Ross Commons, as "instrumental in laying the foundations upon which the Middlebury College of 2002 has been built."
LaForce also served as national chairman of the 175th Anniversary Fund and was awarded the Alumni Achievement Award by the Middlebury College Alumni Association in 1965.
In 1981, the College presented him with an honorary Doctor of Letters degree.
LaForce passed away in 1999 but was informed before his death of the plans for naming the senior dorm in his honor.
He was, in President McCardell's words, "genuinely touched."
On the slopes, where one of the runs bears his name, and back on campus, LaForce continues to honor the Middlebury College campus with his memory.