Leaving Middlebury for the 'Real World'

Author: Chris Dowd

Jeff King '05.5, playwright and graduation speaker for this year's Feb class, sat down with The Campus to talk about his experience with "The Real World;" no, not the one we all dread, but that goofy show on MTV. King recently became a finalist for the upcoming "Real World: Boulder," and will be flying out to Los Angeles in two weeks as one of only 20 people left for selection to the usually seven-person show. Imagine that - a Middlebury grad on "The Real World?"

The Midlebury Campus: So how did this all start?
Jeff King: It's really quite a strange sequence of events. I worked as a landscaper with my friend over the summer, and on a break a bunch of the younger guys were watching "Real World: Austin." The promo for submissions flashed on, and later that evening, basically joking around, we made a tape, mailed it in, and never thought about it again. Then at Midd some time later, I get this e-mail saying I'm in the second round.
Campus: Round 2? Is this where they try to find out (crossing their fingers) if you're a homophobic/racist/aggressively drunk frat guy?
JK: [Laughs] Almost. It was a 17-page application with the basic questions of who you are, where you're from, etc. But also a series of questions about your ability to create drama, e.g. drinking, sex, race, etc. I figured it was pointless to lie, and told them I don't drink much at all, don't sleep promiscuously, and was basically thinking at the time that I'd be too educated for the show. Turns out a couple weeks later I get a call for a phone interview, do that, then interview in person, make them laugh, etc. Then they start calling all of my friends and asking them about me. Meanwhile I'm thinking, what's going on? What's happening? And now I've suddenly got a paid trip to L.A. to meet more people as a finalist.
Campus: So are you excited? A little bit nervous?
JK: Definitely excited. I mean, when I watch the show now, I think: This is going to be hilarious. I'm excited to go and have a good time, go cool places, live in a great house, and rock my Midd shirt.
Campus: Courageous. So that absolute power the producers have doesn't freak you out at all?
JK: [Laughs] They made us sign this waiver giving them the ability to cut anywhere they want and totally mess with the context, but I don't think it should be too bad. I'm confident I won't do anything too stupid. I'm sure I'll end up getting mad a few times, but I doubt my response will be the bombastic fighting/arguing that usually gets people in trouble on the footage. You never know, but I'm really in it for the silly experience of it anyhow.
Campus: So what impact do you think this will have on your life?
JK: I think it's a number of things. As a writer, it can only help. I'll be tossed into this weird, intensified version of society, and have to laugh and live right through it. If anything, it gives me contact I might not be able to have achieved otherwise. I'm not trying to be an actor and milk this to be famous or anything, possibly becoming some kind of reality show burn-out. I really just think I might enjoy this absurd experience and be happy to go back to being nobody.
Campus: Good, so it looks like you just might avoid the Surreal Life after all.
JK: [Laughs] We can only hope.
Campus: Well good luck, and I trust you're as excited as we are about the prospect of having a clever Middlebury grad on MTV?
JK: Of course.

-Chris Dowd