Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Author: Andrea Glaessner

Vermont ski resorts are gearing up for the season with high hopes for heavy snow. Given last winter's dismal performance of feeble snowfalls and dreary rainstorms, most ski resorts are especially dependent on high snow accumulation this year.

So what is in store for this snow season? It is almost December and Middlebury is still feeling eerily warm. Where are the frozen nostrils and why can we still feel our toes? Most snow-lovers are concerned that temperatures have been in the 50s this late in the year. Although meteorologists are optimistic that snow will hit Middlebury by Friday, weather predictions remain unpredictable.

Many Vermont ski resorts are fearful of another repeat season of all rain and no snow. Peter Mackey, Snow Bowl manager, reflected on last year.

"I think last year was as unusual a winter as we've had in a long time. We had four or five storms where we got dumped with rain." However, Mackey is optimistic that this year will be different, "The fact that we don't have any snow on the ground right now is less unusual."

Braedy Stone, an assistant to the marketing director at Mad River Glen, agrees that a late snowfall does not necessarily preclude a mild winter. Stone, a native Vermonter, said, "It would be great if we could open right now, but [a late snowfall] is not uncommon. Usually we wait until the [Christmas] holiday week to open, so we might get all of our snow in the next two weeks."

For Mad River Glen, natural snowfall is especially crucial since the mountain prides itself on offering a more organic skiing experience. Mad River Glen is a cooperative business and only owns two snow guns for producing artificial snow for the base layer. Stone explained this consequent predicament saying, "It's definitely frustrating because we don't make snow here, so it's not like if we had the cold temperatures we could be cranking snow out earlier. We're totally dependent on Mother Nature."

The mountain chooses not to produce artificial snow for both economic and philosophical reasons. The overhead cost of purchasing the guns is extensive and, as a cooperative, Stone said, "we're not exactly rolling in money here." Also, the mountain lacks the natural resources needed to pull water to make the snow. According to Stone, "We only make 15 percent of our snow because our pond isn't big enough to pull from." Overall, dependence on natural snow is part of what makes Mad River Glen so unique. According to Stone, "Our skiers would rather not ski on artificial snow. It's just a different consistency and texture. It's like ice cream versus frozen yogurt."

Mad River Glen is one of the few mountains left in Vermont that relies heavily on natural snow. Many mountains use artificial snow to extend the season. Kim Hewitt, a representative from Jay Peak, said, "We make snow early in the season to give Mother Nature a hand. It helps to get a good base down early and extend the season at the end." But like Mad River Glen, Jay Peak still depends on natural snowfall, though not necessarily for survival during the ski season. Natural snowfall helps Jay Peak maintain its reputation as the mountain that receives the most snow in the East.

According to information provided by Hewitt, Jay Peak's close proximity to Lake Champlain, St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario and several other rivers and lakes in Quebec contributes to at least 20 percent of the mountain's annual snowfall. In fact, the lake effect is actually a huge influence on natural snowfall during warm winters when the lakes are not frozen and occasional bursts of cold air come over the warm waters.

Mad River Glen certainly notices when Jay Peak hogs all the winter snow. When asked about how last winter affected Mad River Glen, Stone said, "Last year was terrible. It seemed like it rained more than it snowed. All the rain we got was snow for Jay Peak. We were just sitting in the wrong place in the valley and all the fronts that came through weren't very considerate."