Liberal dining may disappear

Author: Cloe Shasha

Since the announcement of the budget cuts at the end of Winter Term, speculation about the implementation of a meal plan has become a talking point on campus. But according to Director of Dining Services Matthew Biette, the discussion among faculty and staff is at an early, non-definitive stage. No specifics have been established about the type of meal plan Middlebury might develop.

"We are discussing possibilities as we should in this economic climate," Biette said. "We need to look at every way we do business and contain costs while providing quality meals within a budget. The meal plan discussion falls within these parameters."

But Biette emphasized that changes in the College's dining system will probably not be implemented in the next year - if at all - because this type of change would require a long planning process.

Students who heard rumors about a meal plan felt that it would have a major impact on the College.

"Having no meal plan makes us eat more healthfully," said Brad Becker-Parton '11. "It's nice to be able to come in at 5 p.m., get a bowl of soup, and then come in later to eat more, rather than stuffing our plates in one go. We might lose that healthy attitude with a meal plan."

Ken Grinde '11 worked at the admissions office in the fall and noticed that prospective students are drawn to Middlebury's current dining system.

"In the admissions office kids were really turned on by the idea that our dining halls are open," said Grinde. "They thought it was so cool."

Hillary Gerardi '09 thinks that the social qualities of the dining halls would change with a meal plan.

"The dining halls are major social spaces on campus right now," she said. "Right now, people can eat, go to class, come back, and find their friends still there. A meal plan would make dining hall culture less relaxed."

Some students believe that a meal plan could help the College save money and food.

"I think a meal plan would be great," said Angela Evancie '09. "It would encourage people to waste less food. In fact, if there was a penalty for wasting food with our current dining system, we would already save a lot."

Andrew Powers '11 suggested another way to save money other than with a meal plan.

"If we want to reduce our waste and save more money, we should have some visual evidence of the amount of food that we waste," he said. "If the College showed the students the amount of food that is regularly squandered, I think it might have an effect on peoples' tendency to waste. But a meal plan would change the atmosphere of our dining halls - they would be more like restaurants and less personal."