Liebstock 2008 Students salute the president with second annual Liebowitz Day

Author: H. Kay Merriman

"He's a professor of Geography, a major he took in college. Expert in speaking Russian, though those Russians have nothing on Liebo's dashing good looks. And because of him, they had this great idea: they could thank him and give him his rightful cheer. Finally they figured out how and they created Liebowitz Day," crooned Mike West '09 in tribute to President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz on LiebowitzDay.com. But exactly what is Liebowitz Day? And how was it created?

It is difficult to cite the exact inaugural date of Liebowitz Day, but one of this year's organizers, Noah Feder '09, claimed that the celebration truly dates back to June of 1980, long before Liebowitz became president, when he attended Middlebury's Russian Language School. Last year, however, was the first annual Liebstock, a free concert by campus bands comparable in legend-making capability to the 1969 Woodstock. Israel Carr '09, another organizer of Liebowitz Day, said that while the first Liebstock was "all underground ... there was an outcry, a mandate really to celebrate Liebowitz Day this year." Fueled by rumors from the previous year, excited Middlebury students and what Feder refers to as "the mysterious benefactors of the Portuguese House," this year's celebration of Liebowitz Day was bigger and better than ever. Carr and Feder were also assisted by two other students who wish to remain anonymous.

"Anonymity has always been one of our associates' most treasured values," said Feder.

Carr also described "the splinter-cell phenomenon," by which posters that they had not created began appearing around campus and other forms of advertisement, such as an addition to Liebowitz's Wikipedia entry, were posted online without their approval.

Regardless of how they knew of the event, students filled McCullough Social Space on March 14 in observance of "The 12th Annual Ronald D. Liebowitz Day 2" with "Electric Boogaloo: Celebrating a Century of Tradition." Many wore red shirts with Liebowitz in a Che Guevara hat printed on the front as they danced beneath a giant poster of his face to the music of student bands The Mike West Experience and Scott-E, Yuzimi, Ben Goldstein and B.A.W.P., The Dead Jettsons and Market Zero. Whether they were supporting the musicians or the president, students seemed to enjoy themselves.

"It's exciting to have so much musical talent on campus. I was disappointed that Liebowitz didn't show up to hear all the fantastic bands and thank all the students who worked very hard to honor him," said Sam Dungan '10.5.

In the hallway outside the dance party attendees could take pictures with Liebowitz by sticking their face through a cut-out of him and his wife Jessica and admire the sculpted bust in his likeness. Carr, the sculptor, included an artist's note with a Hebrew inscription that he said translates to "a beautiful vision."

"The bust is my way to thank Ron Liebowitz for all he's done for me personally and all of humanity by starting the Liebowitz Foundation," Carr explained.

The celebration extended beyond Liebstock. Festivities commenced earlier in the day with Liebowitz impersonator appearances in dining halls and an apple-pie baking contest, which was won by Catherine Timmins '09.

Feder described the day as "good, clean, family-oriented, rootin'-tootin', apple-pie baking fun" and noted that the tradition will continue. "Liebowitz Day is the fifth Friday of spring semester, the last day of the Drop Period," he said.

"It's like Election Day," said Carr.

"I would say it's more like Mother's Day," Feder corrected.

Carr and Feder wished to emphasize that the sentiments behind Liebowitz Day are amorous and sincere.

"It's completely positive," said Carr. "It gives students a chance to celebrate something they truly believe in."

"It's all about celebrating," said Feder.

"Not about mocking," Carr added.

Additional tributes to Liebowitz can be found online at LiebowitzDay.com. Scott Leighton's '08.5 YouTube video entitled "Ron Liebowitz: We Support You" received over 1,000 hits prior to the celebration, and Feder said that photos and highlights from March 14 will be posted soon.

The header under the section of the Web site titled "Who is Ron Liebowitz?" states, "A more difficult question has rarely been asked. Answering it is a task for the brave, the courageous, perhaps even the foolhardy." Answering the question "What is Liebowitz Day?" has proven equally difficult, but one thing is certain - as long as there are students enraptured by what "The Liebowitz Day Song" describes as the "shiny loafers and thick black hair, his unique footwear," the tradition, whether two, 12 or 100 years old, will continue.