LIS jumpstarts brand new network

Author: Caroline M. Vial

Associate Dean of Library and Information Services (LIS) David Donahue '91 and several managers of LIS enthusiastically shared some vital information on the inner-workings of our new campus network.

The Campus: Rumor has it that Middlebury's computer network has changed dramatically since last Spring.

Donahue: The core functionality of the network remains the same. We have made some changes in terms of expanding the wireless network and improving security, but the network itself has not changed dramatically since last spring. We have also increased our bandwidth significantly and as I mentioned, we are continuing to enhance security and wireless access. We still require registration through Campus Manager. None of the changes or improvements are related to the new library.

We have also implemented a new library system. This is the system we use to support circulation of materials, searching for materials, purchasing, cataloging, etc. You may notice this change when you search for library materials. We will continue to tweak this system throughout the next year.

What happened to AppleTalk and Netware?

This summer we upgraded our Novell File Servers so that AppleTalk is no longer needed to connect natively to the network. AppleTalk is actually being phased as the preferred protocol for communications. This change is happening industry-wide and is supported, if not encouraged, by Apple.

How many "networks" can I log onto, and what are their various purposes?

Middlebury has only one network, but it is made up of many subnets. The network that everyone logs onto is the same. Where you go once you are logged onto the network will vary based on your security access. There are security restrictions that determine which subnets and folders and files you can access.

So, how should I save my late-night papers to TigerCat, and more importantly, will I still lose my paper if I don't do it by midnight?

Tigercat is backed up daily and there is also a function to recover files that have been recently deleted from Tigercat in addition to tape back-ups. We recommend that you save important work to Tigercat regardless of the time of day or night.

Is there a better recovery system in place for lost papers at midnight, or will the contents of my precious work disperse themselves into indiscernible particles and fall into black holes?

For work that is super important we recommend that you purchase a USB key or burn the work to DVD/CD. This will give you the ability to have the data under your control and in your physical possession. Between saving to your Tigercat folder, burning to CD/DVD (or using a USB key) and your hard-drive you should be in good shape. We will always do all that we can to retrieve your data, but there are times when it is simply not possible.

Is there anything else that we need to know about Middlebury's new network?

We would like to remind everyone that connecting any device to the network, other than a standard personal computer (Mac, Linux or Windows) without prior consultation and approval from LIS is a violation of College policy. It also has the potential to create major network issues for you and your neighbors. In particular, home network appliances, wireless routers, aiports, etc., can cause serious disruptions of network performance, network outages and can compromise the network security. This can increase our vulnerability to viruses and worms. It can also cause damage to the network, a multi-million dollar resource that we all rely on. Individuals who violate this policy will lose network access.