Meeting Halfway on the Bridge to GLBTQ Inclusion

Author: Gab Fonseca and Jena Siegel

In the Oct. 9 issue of The Middlebury Campus, an anonymous student stated: "I totally support gay rights, but I feel as though most of the events are more focused on the 'in-group' of MOQA members, rather than building bridges with the rest of the school" ("MOQA Colors McCullough Lawn with New Closet").

As the co-presidents of Middlebury Open Queer Alliance (MOQA), we would like to address this interpretation because we feel that it is contradictory to the purpose of the Coming Out Week events.

MOQA sponsored Coming Out Week in an effort to make the College community aware of the coming out process and to initiate discussion regarding issues of sexual orientation. Designed to target members and non-members alike, our events invited the community to participate in dialogue and celebrate freedom of open sexual expression.

For example, the Ally Meeting was geared specifically to educate the community on how to help build bridges between GLBTQ students and allies, and create an accepting and respectful environment. The very essence of the Ally group is to provide a forum for people who might not participate in MOQA on a weekly basis, but are interested in understanding and getting involved with gay issues.

MOQA's presence on campus has not always been felt in the past. As MOQA has changed each year based on the needs of its members, the group has provided varying degrees of community outreach. This year, we are reaching out to the campus more than we have in the past and we are challenging the community to grapple with issues of sexual orientation and gender.

Our goals are to make the campus aware of such issues and to create a respectful community. Exclusion is the antithesis of our goals, as we are striving to include as many people as possible in our events.

Although we are often afraid to admit it, homophobia exists at Middlebury. While it does not always take the form of open hostilities, it appears more subtly. One form is silence, the unwillingness of people to talk about sexual orientation and gender.

This silence marginalizes GLBTQ persons and causes them to be invisible on campus. Heterosexism, when others assume and act as if everyone is heterosexual, also causes invisibility.

If MOQA appears exclusive, it is because of the silent reception that is given to GLBTQ students. There are times when we put up signs only to find them torn down, erasing the voice of MOQA members, and erasing sexual diversity and tolerance at Middlebury. Thus, a vicious cycle is created: homophobia fosters an environment of fear and indifference towards GLBTQ students and issues.

This general sentiment results in low attendance at many of our events, our only vehicle of educating the community about gay issues. Without outreach, there cannot be change, yet homophobia limits our ability to educate.

We are beginning the process of opening communication lines between the GLBTQ community and the rest of the campus. To build bridges, MOQA is reaching out to the community, increasing visibility, and initiating discussion. We put together Coming Out Week to educate and make the community aware of gay issues and how others can help. But we cannot build bridges alone.

As Professor Kevin Moss explained at the Ally Meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 7, the responsibility of creating an accepting and respectful community cannot fall solely on the shoulders of GLBTQ students. Responsibility falls on all of us in the community. MOQA is taking the first step toward building bridges. Please meet us halfway.