Men's golf place seventh in Manhattanville Spring Invite

The Middlebury men’s golf team competed at the Manhattanville Spring Invitational at Lyman Orchards Golf Club in Wallingford, Conn. last weekend, April 13 and 14, coming away with a seventh-place finish.  Skidmore won the tournament with a score of 601 strokes, narrowly edging Williams, St. Thomas Aquinas, Adelphi and RPI.  Middlebury’s golfers combined for a final score of 620.

Billy Prince ’13 led the way for Middlebury, tying for 19th place overall with a score of 153.  He has consistently been one of the team’s lowest-scoring golfers all year.  Chris Atwood ’14 was right behind him with 154, good enough for a share of 21st place. Rob Donahoe ’14 had a strong 74 on Saturday, but struggled on Sunday to finish with 158.  Max Alley ’14 and Andrew Emerson ’14 rounded out the Panthers squad with scores of 159 and 161 respectively.

The Panthers were in position to compete after sitting in fifth place after Saturday, but added eight strokes on Sunday to fall back into seventh.

“We struggled on Sunday,” said Atwood.  “We’re not satisfied with the results and know we have a lot of work to do before NESCACs.”

The men will head to rival Williams this weekend to compete in the Williams Spring Opener at Taconic Golf Club in Williamstown, Mass.  It is their final tournament before the NESCAC Championship, which will take place the weekend of April 27.

“We’re moving in the right direction and we’ll be ready when it counts,” said Atwood.