Men's Golf Wins Bowdoin Tourney, Women Place Third at St. Lawrence

The Middlebury men’s golf team opened their season in impressive style last weekend, easily winning the 2013 Bowdoin Invitational at Brunswick Golf Club in Brunswick, Maine. The Panthers finished with a total of 605 strokes, followed by Husson University (616). The University of Southern Maine (633), Endicott College (634), and Williams College (637) rounded out the top five. Meanwhile at the eight-team St. Lawrence Invitational, the Middlebury women’s golf team finished third overall. Ithaca (631) claimed the top spot followed by NYU (638) and the Panthers (662).

At Brunswick, Rob Donahoe ’14 (149) led the way for Middlebury, finishing in a tie for second place with Husson’s Greg Pike and only one stroke behind medalist Tom Murray of University of Southern Maine (USM). Donahoe finished in ninth place after the first day, but his second day of 72 propelled him and the team up the leaderboards. The Panthers had three golfers among the top six finishers, with John Louie ’15 (153) and Chris Atwood ’15 (154) putting in impressive rounds. Eric Laorr ’15 and Max Alley ’14 tied for 17th place overall with scores of 159.

Middlebury trailed Husson by one stroke after day one, but came out firing on Sunday with Atwood, Alley, and Donahoe each shaving multiple strokes off their day one totals while Husson, USM, and Williams fell back.

“We’re all excited for a strong season, especially after coming off a win in our opening tournament,” Alley said.

On the women’s side, Jordan Glatt ’15 was the top finisher, placing fourth overall with 156 after a 76 on day one. She was followed by six-place finisher Monica Chow ’16 (159), while Michelle Peng ’15 (171), Caroline Kenter ’14 (176) and Emma Kitchen ’15 (204) completed the Panthers lineup.

While satisfied by her team’s performance, captain Caroline Kenter ’14 believes that there is much room for improvement.

“We’re all recovering from very busy summers, so working on getting our swings back is our priority during practice,” she said. “I had some rough holes, so there are definitely some things I need to work on before our match at NYU.”

Kitchen echoed her captain’s sentiments.

“We did well for the first tournament back, especially in tough weather on Saturday,” she said. “Being in fourth going into Sunday we were excited to make it in the top three. I thought our team held up strong, and can do really well going forward as we all get back into the swing of things.”

The men’s team will host the 30th annual Duke Nelson Invitational on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14-15 at the Ralph Myhre Golf Course. Middlebury placed third in the tournament a year ago and will look to use its knowledge of the course to improve upon that mark. The women’s team will travel to NYU, meanwhile, hoping this time it can reverse the results of the St. Lawrence Invitational and seek revenge on the hosting side.

ALEX MORRIS also contributed to this report.