Middlebury golfers post strong finishes

The women’s golf team returned to action for the first time this spring in this past weekend’s Vassar Invitational at the Dutchess Golf Club on Saturday and Sunday, April 13 and 14. The Panther women finished in second place behind their conference foe, Williams, posting a team score of 644 strokes to the Ephs’ 637.

The tournament, hosted at the par-72, 5,805-yard golf course in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., featured picturesque weather all weekend, with slight wind on Sunday.

As a group, Middlebury played consistently over the two days of the tournament, shooting identical rounds of 322 strokes over the two days for a combined score of 644.

Jordan Glatt ’15 led the Panther women after shooting an impressive 75 on Sunday, finishing with a scored of 156 strokes to place second in the field. Equally notable, Michele Peng ’15 finished tied for third with rounds of 77 and 80 strokes for a combined two score of 157.  Monica Chow ’16, Keely Levins ’13, and Caroline Kenter ’14 placed 12th, 17th and 24th, respectively.

Kenter posted one of the more notable performances on the weekend, seeing an eight shot improvement between Saturday and Sunday.

“I had a rough first day, but the team held it together really well, “ explained Kenter. “Michelle played well on Saturday, and Jordan was almost lights-out on Sunday.”

The Panther women are looking forward to next weekend at the Jack Leaman Invitational at Mount Holyoke, April 20 and 21.

“Overall, we are really optimistic about next weekend,” said Kenter. “We beat Amherst this weekend and we are going for Williams next weekend.”