More Than a Difference of Opinion America's 'War' with France

Author: Grace Kronenburg

When, in March of last year, restaurants on Capitol Hill and around the nation renamed French Fries and French Toast "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast," it was clear that French bashing had reached a new level in America.

While little blatant anti-American sentiment existed in France following the Iraqi conflict - no throwing of Coca-Cola in the Seine or renaming of the cheeseburger - it is clear that there is a marked difference between the basic national values in France and the United States.

Name calling aside, it appears that a rift is slowly forming between the perennial allies.

The burgeoning conflict was the subject of Sylvie Kauffmann's Oct. 28 lecture, "Are France and America at War?," in the Robert A. Jones Conference Room.

Kauffmann, a senior editor at French daily newspaper Le Monde, is well-versed in relations between France and the United States. After serving as Washington correspondent from 1993 to 1996, Kauffmann was employed as New York correspondent until 2001 when she returned to Paris.

Of Kauffmann's work, Edward Knox, Middlebury professor of French and moderator of the lecture, said, "I have been consistently impressed by the quality of her reporting on the United States, which has always struck me as evenhanded, insightful and to the point."

Kauffmann opened her talk by referring to an article by Tom Friedman printed in the New York Times on Sept. 18 entitled "Our War With France." The article argued that France is not simply a complacent ally, but that it wants America to fail in Iraq. Taken aback by Friedman's article, Kauffmann saw it as indicative of the crisis between the two nations.

She said, "The mere fact that Tom Friedman wrote that article and it was printed in newspapers around the world is in itself significant because it shows how low relations between the two countries have sunk over the past year. Possibly as low as the image of France has sunk in America."

The visible rift between France and the United States began when France refused to support the American campaign against Iraq.

While some pointed to the fact that France and the United States were rivals in the situation, Kauffmann saw an entirely different side of the debate. France's refusal to provide military support was motivated by hesitancy to participate in a war that lacked United Nations' approval and international legitimacy.

Fundamentally, Kauffmann saw France's response as determined not by rivalry but by "confrontation over the criteria of the use of force." The two nations differ over reasons and conditions for waging war - ultimately over underlying national values.

This ever-widening value gap found its beginnings earlier than the Iraqi conflict. While America is consumed with fighting terrorism, France is immersed in the rebuilding of Europe.

Kauffmann pointed to the fact that the French lack understanding of American reasons for war in Iraq and Afghanistan, just as Americans have a very limited conception of the breadth of the effect the formation of the European Union had on France.

Accordingly, Kauffmann sees France as engaged in an identity crisis of sorts.

The adoption of the Euro, reliance on a central bank with the rest of Europe, admittance of 10 new, formerly communist Eastern European States to the European Union and the writing of a common constitution have had a deep impact on France's political and social identity.

Concurrently, France is experiencing an influx of primarily Muslim immigrants, giving rise to a host of problems that challenge many of the country's established ideals regarding religion, secularism in public schools, mode of integration and social structure.

Clearly, France and the United States are faced with markedly different issues.

Kauffmann emphasized the ignorance and mutual lack of understanding of each nation to the unique issues faced by the other as the basis for the growing value gap. Basically, France and America are operating on two very separate value systems.

Kauffmann closed by saying, "We have been kidding ourselves too long about who we are and how we relate to each other. It is time to give up denial and pay more attention to who we are." Both nations, she implied, need to realize their differences in order to address their commonalities and begin to patch the growing rift.

The lecture was well attended by students, faculty and community members alike. Kauffmann answered several questions from audience members after her talk and during the dinner that followed.

Knox commented on Kauffmann's take-home message, saying, "France and America are destined to clash as a result of differing value systems, but it is self-defeating to dwell on what divides us - we need to look instead for commonalities between the two countries."

"Are France and America at War?" was the third in a series of colloquia on French-American Relations.

It follows "Deja Views: How Americans look at France," given in November 2001 and "France in 2003: The Challenge of Change," held last April.