New Commons system poses exciting challenges

Author: Rachael Jennings

"We will, we will COOK you!" shouts an enthusiastic new generation of Cook Commons members. Against the backdrop of their shirts, ties and sundresses, the uproarious chant seems out of place.

The Brainerd first-years, who have just performed their equally spirited version of The Who's "Who Are You?" sit and watch as stomping, cheering and general mayhem resonates throughout the dark wood of Mead Chapel.

The Class of 2012 Convocation opened a fresh school year, but the new faces are not the only change on campus.

The Commons system was formed about 10 years ago, when the College mounted a conscious effort to increase enrollment, as a means to preserve the close-knit, small college community that Middlebury students enjoy. Atwater, Brainerd, Cook, Ross and Wonnacott have since been the five pillars of the Commons system, providing both social and academic networks aimed at helping students grow and develop. The original plan was for students to remain affiliated with their Commons for their entire four years at Middlebury, but this year marks the College's transition to the new "4/2 Commons" system.

Under the new system, a student remains attached to a particular Commons for his or her entire tenure at Middlebury - he or she corresponds directly with the same Commons heads and deans and can participate in events, trips and activities sponsored by that Commons.

Maintaining these principles keeps some of the more positive aspects of the old system in place. The existence of decentralized deans, for example, makes it easy for students to converse directly with their Commons administrators and follow up on academic and personal queries. Further, the grouping of students in specific first-year seminars in the same residential space establishes close and convenient communities for first-year students.

So why make the change?

One of the primary reasons was the fact that students in certain Commons had access to nicer facilities spatially, socially and geographically, while others felt disadvantaged during room-draw.

"Students had long been frustrated by a room draw system that limited their options for living with friends from other Commons," said Acting Provost Tim Spears.

Given the older housing model at an institution like Middlebury College, the inconveniences of the physical Commons system "seemed, physically and psychologically, to constrict students' ability to experience all that Middlebury has to offer," said Spears.

Some students, like Maddie Niemi '11, begin to feel that frustration as early as their sophomore year.

"I think that the Commons System is good for freshmen," said Niemi, "but I want to live with my friends from the track team, who happen to be in other Commons."

Adam Dede '11 agreed that "the Commons System is limiting and causes unnecessary problems with housing."

Theoretically, the Commons were designed to house all students in geographic proximity with the other members of their Commons and each Commons was meant to have a dining hall. With wide open green stretches at the heart of the campus, however, the architectural alterations required to realize those ideals would be complicated and prohibitively expensive.

Spears explained the implausibility of achieving equal opportunity housing for all students.

"To build equitable housing for all five Commons - especially senior housing - and to complete dining halls for the Commons that currently do not have their own dining halls would cost at least $150 million," he said. "Also, it would limit the resources that the College would have for pursuing other initiatives like increasing financial aid and hiring additional faculty."

Thus, the newly devised 4/2 system hopes to strike a balance between those lofty goals and the reality of the College's situation in a way that is well-received by the student body.

"I think the change is absolutely for the better," said Josh Wessler '09. "The campus divides itself fairly effectively into social groups without the added structures of the Commons System and I think the administration should be using its resources for social and community-based activities, as it already does, rather than further subdividing the campus."

Many members of the College community also see the 4/2 move as a beneficial way of expanding student freedom, while still providing a home base for younger students.

"The shift provides flexibility in housing options," said Wonnacott Commons Head Deb Evans, "but at the same time, because your Commons identity does not shift over the four years, you have the opportunity to develop strong and lasting ties to the commons faculty and staff - your head, dean, and coordinator."

Andrew Law '11 agreed that it is useful to have a permanent connection to a particular Commons.

"I like the Commons system in that you have a place to go for advice, money, counseling - anything you need," said Law.

However, Law expressed frustration at the fact that, living in Forest with an R.A. only a few doors down, he has to walk to the other side of the building for his own Commons R.A. Certain seemingly illogical nuisances like this are bound to crop up in the transition to the new Commons program, but what are the larger obstacles that may arise?

One obvious dilemma is the loss of strongly rooted juniors and seniors within the Commons System, as they may no longer feel ties with their particular Commons.

"A challenge is drawing juniors and seniors 'back' to their Commons to plan events and help develop the Commons community," said Spears.

"Now the burden of defining and embodying each Commons rests largely with the freshmen and sophomores," said Topher Hunt '11, co-chair of the Brainerd Commons Council.

Students have expressed ideas of more Commons-centered social activities to promote intra-Commons unity. This would hopefully foster more Commons spirit - perhaps through intramural sports, color wars, or simply more pride in a particular Commons - though it might present a considerable challenge, as Dede pointed out.

"How often do you see someone walking around in a Wonnacott Squirrels t-shirt?" he asked.

And how often do we see any upperclassman chanting their Commons cheers with the same excitement and pride that echoed in Mead Chapel during Convocation or, for that matter, acknowledging any true relationship to their Commons?

"When I see someone pass me in the Dining Hall, I feel no connection to them just because they are in my Commons," admitted Niemi.

Spears addressed this problem by acknowledging that students simply have different priorities later in their Middlebury careers.

"Middlebury students are very busy and we need to think hard about how the Commons should support students at each stage of their careers at Middlebury," said Spears. "I believe the 4/2 system has the potential to do this more effectively than the old system since it recognizes that first years and sophomores have different needs and goals than juniors and seniors."

By connecting juniors and seniors to the Commons through roles in SGA, Commons Council and on Residential Life teams, the only issue now is keeping the student body engaged in shaping the meaning and life of the Commons System.

The innovative 4/2 system is full of potential, just as the original launch of the Commons system was in the 1990s. But the responsibility now lies with students and administrators to work together effectively to keep the spark of the Commons system thriving, so that the Commons can continue to play an integral part in the lives of future Middlebury students for years to come.