New Policy Admits First-Year Pledges

After the Community Council approved two proposals introduced by the Inter-House Council in December, social houses will change their admittance policies. Starting in the fall of 2013, second-semester first-years will be able to pledge social houses and first-semester sophomores will be able to live in the houses.

Community Council passed both proposals during a meeting on Jan. 21 after reviewing them for several weeks, and soon after the proposals were brought to President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz, who granted final approval.

Barrett Smith ’13, student co-chair of community council, said that the reasoning behind his support for the idea was due to its supplementary nature to the commons system.

“What was most persuasive for me was the idea of the social houses supplementing our commons system,” said Smith. “I personally found a strong community in my commons, but no matter how good our commons system is, it won’t work for everyone. Many people find their sense of home and community here in a diversity of social organizations, and the social houses seem to be particularly strong ones for many.”

Another important aspect of the proposal regarding sophomores is that it is likely to help the social houses fill their beds each semester. The doubles in the houses are hard to fill because they are an unattractive option to junior and senior members. Members of social houses and of Community Council felt that the option would be very attractive to sophomores, for it would provide a unique opportunity for sophomores to live with and have access to upperclassmen.

Associate Dean of Students Doug Adams explained, “There will not be a significant impact for housing as a whole, but [the new rule] may help social houses more easily fill all of the beds in their houses as they will have a larger pool of students from which to draw.

“Depending on the level of interest in this program it may provide some additional housing flexibility in sophomore communities,” he added.

When the proposals passed, Community Council attached two stipulations to address concerns about possible ramifications. The first stated that only two first-semester sophomores may live in each house, and the second gave the proposals a two-year trial period, allowing them to be revoked if necessary.

Smith explained that these additions were created mainly to ensure that sophomores were not pressured to fill beds.

“We definitely don’t want that, and if this becomes an issue during the trial period, Community Council has the capacity to re-evaluate it,” said Smith.

Leslie Reed ’14, student head of Brackett House (Tavern), added that the social houses view the trial period as a helpful tool as well.

“This initiative is a big change for Middlebury’s social scene and social houses, so I think it is smart to test the program before setting it in stone,” said Reed. “It will be nice to see if it works out as we hope.”

Dean of the College and co-Chair of Community Council Shirley Collado explained that the original rules regarding first-year and sophomore participation in social houses revolved around the belief in the first two years of college to be a time of exploration.

“The philosophy of our commons and residential life system centers around a significant commitment to the first-year and sophomore experience,” said Collado. “We want first-years to have ample time to get to know the College, explore a broad range of interests and try out difference experiences.”

Collado added that the social house leaders and members who attended the meeting made compelling arguments about the vast number of organizations that first-years already are permitted to join. She appreciates that the two-year trial period will allow for new options for first-years while still allowing the Community Council and the College to explore any issues that occur.

“I hope the benefits will outweigh any potential challenges,” she said. “I also hope that first-years will continue to have great options and experiences across campus while still remaining rooted in the core values of the commons.”

Despite challenges and benefits for the houses, both Reed and Mark Isbell ’14, student head of Kappa Delta Rho (KDR), asserted that the main purpose of the new admittance policies is to enhance the lives of first-years and sophomores on campus.

Isbell pointed out that since all members of social houses go through in-depth alcohol awareness training, letting first-years become members would help them learn about responsible drinking, as well as how to be accountable for a space they can call home.

“It’s only fair that as a student you be allowed to experience everything available before that critical change from first-year to sophomore year,” he said.

Reed said she believes the new policy will effect positive change both for her house and for first-years across campus.

“We just want to share the love we’ve all found for our organization and the members in it with first-years that might want a different community outside of their commons. A first-year’s perspective at Middlebury is very different from a senior’s, so having those voices represented will bring more insight into how we can better socially serve Middlebury’s community.”