One in 8700

Trent Campbell can often be seen around town and on the College campus with a camera around his neck, taking photos for the Addison Independent.
“People are shocked when they don’t see me with a camera,” said Campbell, who grew up in Deluth, Minn.
Photography has been a constant presence in his life.
“As a kid I was into … playing around with cameras a lot,” he said.
Campbell’s grandfather, who took up photography as a serious hobby after his retirement, sparked Campbell’s passion, passing down old equipment to his grandson.
It was in Minnesota that Campbell was first exposed to professional photography. His mother had started a magazine in Minnesota, and he occasionally took photos for the publication. He also was the photographer for his school yearbooks.
After studying film at Dennison College in Ohio, he moved to Los Angeles, Calif. In 1993, Campbell happily moved to Middlebury, Vt. with his family when his now ex-wife got a job at Middlebury College. He welcomed the change of scenery, as he had be “itching to get out of Los Angeles, where the urban environment was grating on [him].”
In Middlebury, Campbell’s first job was at Lightning Photo, located on Rte. 7 South. In 1998, after his friend and predecessor Caleb Kenna retired from his post at the Addison Independent, Campbell successfully applied for the job and began his career as a local newspaper photographer.
“[With] a job at a little paper like this, you cover all the bases of photography,” said Campbell. “I’ve done sports, landscapes, more straight photo journalism, art photography and plays.”
Campbell enjoys his work at the paper because of the variety; he is required to be “a jack of all trades.” Though it is often  “a seven days a week job,” Campbell sees great value in spending time in the community and meeting a variety of people.
“Every day is a little bit different,” he said.
Campbell learns about his assignments for upcoming issues on Mondays and Thursdays when the staff holds story conferences. After meetings, he hits the road to capture the perfect image for the paper.
“[I] formulate ideas for what might make a good photo,” he said.
Campbell is quick to acknowledge that there is a need to be flexible. While he does plan ahead, his plans often change completely when he begins the assignment.
One of the more difficult aspects of his work at the paper is finding stand alone shots, those which are not directly connected to a story. Campbell looks to the community event calendar for inspiration for such shots. Some of his favorite assignments include taking photos of children and theater performances. He also enjoys photographing barns, which “seem to have lived a long, hard life.”
Campbell, like any good photographer, holds a photo up to certain standards. He aims for what he terms a full frame, and wants his photos the have subject matter on every level — “top to bottom and side to side.”  Campbell looks for depth as well to complete the image he captures.
“Something will jump out at me,” said Campbell.
When selecting a specific image, Campbell often chooses photos for the same qualities he intrinsically noticed while shooting.Yet photography does not define every part of Campbell’s life. When he is away from the lens, Campbell takes advantage of Vermont’s landscape and canoes. He also loves listening to music, cooking and spending time with his children.
Since moving to Middlebury, Campbell has embraced many opportunities and created a life for himself that he truly enjoys.
“I love working at the paper and I can see myself sticking around for a while,” he said.