Organic garden plants awareness

Author: Michael Stefanik

Autumn is a time for reflection and the appreciation of beauty. At the Middlebury Organic Garden it is also a time of celebration. With the annual Harvest Festival, the community and students come together to look back upon the accomplishments of the past year. Winding and twisting through the picturesque Vermont countryside, a seemingly unobtrusive path leads to this hidden jewel of the town.

On Saturday Oct. 1, visitors from the campus community and town were invited to celebrate the achievements of yet another successful year in the garden. It was an exposition to both showcase the accomplishments and also educate and inspire others with the joys of cultivating vegetables.

A student organization, the garden was started four years ago and has grown steadily as faculty, students and members of the community have joined together in the cultivation of chemical-free produce. Located just west of campus within walking distance, it offers anyone who is interested a place to roll up his or her sleeves and take part in a rewarding venture, or simply to sit back and enjoy the environment.

On Saturday the now annual "Slow the Plow" Harvest Festival was initiated in the garden against a backdrop of the setting sun. After exploring the site on their own, guests formed a circle at the top of the hill that brought together those directly involved in the project and individuals who were anxious to learn more. Following the gathering in the field, an organic dinner was held in the Coffrin Annex Lounge. Guests were treated to a meal composed of locally grown organic fare, which was complemented by a lively atmosphere - a token of the celebration of yet another productive growing season. Jay Leshinsky, the advisor of the garden, observed, "[The garden] has been successful because so many people have participated. Not just students, but people in the community, even supportive faculty have brought their classes here, everything from one kid helping for one hour, to the continuous help. It is just a special place to work."

One can quickly discover upon visiting that time at the garden runs on a biological, rather than a digital clock. The seasons, the cycles of life, of planting and harvesting, of growth and development all dictate the schedules of those involved. Those who have had the opportunity to get involved with the project were often touched by the spirit and commitment of the students and the Middlebury community. "I didn't even know this place existed, but now I have a deeper respect for the environmental consciousness of Middlebury," said Tim Reed '08.5, a first-time visitor to the garden, "It is amazing how so many students have participated in this project. This place was like a little slice of heaven, nestled in the Middlebury countryside."

The festival offered a chance for the 100 or so visitors with less familiarity with the everyday ins and outs of the garden to also discover surprising facts. Said Reed of his experience, "What fascinated me the most were the edible flowers that are used in dishes like arugula salads. I never thought flowers could be so tasty."

The garden raises money by selling their goods to the college. As a student organization, it does receive partial support, but with the efforts of those involved they are able to perpetuate the cause through the sales of their produce. "I think it is wonderful that Middlebury College can grow their own food and use it in the dining halls," said Simone Weisman '09.

This past summer the group was even able to support two full-time and two part-time workers. Internships are also available for interested students during the summer. All interested individuals are welcome to visit the garden. Whether to sit and watch the sunset in the west or help plant a new crop of tomatoes, any amount of commitment is warmly welcomed.