Potomac Theatre Project leaves D.C for the bright lights of New York

Author: Justine Katzenbach

Making the move to New York City, The Potomac Theatre Project hopes to take on a new location with as much power and professionalism as they did in the District of Columbia. Constantly striving to better Middlebury's already nationally recognized Theatre department, both Professor of Theatre Richard Romagnoli and Professor of Theatre and Women and Gender Studies Cheryl Faraone are pleased by the decision.

Faraone comments on the recent location change: "The reason why we decided to move to New York is because, in the 20 years of PTP's existence, numerous [alums] have ended up doing their professional work in New York. Middlebury theatre is a continuum, a growing group of artists, and we want them to have access to these really amazing artists while giving opportunities to our current students to be exposed to people making a life in theatre and also in film and television. The kind of theatre that we do is focused on contemporary issues. It focuses on a socio-cultural critique, and although the location where we were just outside of D.C. provided a great deal [of critique], it was not providing an audience of young and curious questioners. That is what we are hoping to alter in New York."

Recent graduate Ben Fainstein '04, who works as a professional actor, reiterating Kiel's fondness of PTP, said, "Having done the Potomac Theatre Project and having come out of the Middlebury Theatre Department I am now more prepared to work professionally in my field than just about anyone my age." Despite the geographic change, an urban switch will not blemish the integrity or credo of the Company. Faraone explains that PTP will "still be called PTP, and it will still offer students (wherever it is) the opportunity to get a close and personal look into the life of theatre by working very closely with professional actors. It's not a classroom situation - it is a professional situation." From one grand city to the next, The Potomac Theatre Project remains a remarkable opportunity for students of theatre at Middlebury, and reinforces the importance of the performing arts in this College's community.