Registration: First-years work to create class schedules

On Friday afternoon, Sept. 3, the atmosphere at Kenyon Arena was tense as the Class of 2014 anxiously gathered for fall registration. In the days preceding, first-years poured over the course catalogue to create countless possible schedule options and met with their advisors to outline potential courses. In addition, students could take advantage of opportunities to receive further instruction on class registration by attending the Center for Teaching and Learning Resources (CTLR) pre-advisory classes and the Academic Forum.

Picture-6-300x200

Earlier in the week each student was randomly assigned a lottery number that determined in what order the students would enter the arena to register. Students with lower numbers breathed a sigh of relief.

“Because I had an early registration number I didn’t have to worry about a backup plan,” said Simeran Sabharwal ’14, who was number 58 in a pool of 579.

Others with higher numbers weren’t as lucky, as they were shut out from their preferred classes. Jake Nonweiler ’14, number 425, was unable to secure one of 18 slots in Beginning French Part One.

“I know you can’t always get what you want, but it was frustrating not to begin a language I’ve always wanted to learn,” Nonweiller said.

While most first-years were nervous about working out a schedule, Guadalupe Barajas ’14 and Quanteshia Tennyson ’14 were surprised to see availability in their top choices, despite having registration numbers in the 500s.

“I was really stressed and scared I wouldn’t get what classes I wanted. I was constantly refreshing BannerWeb to be sure I had a shot at getting into Portuguese,” said Tennyson, who held the second to last registration number, but still secured a desired place in Beginning Portuguese.

With registration complete, first-years can now jump into their very first semester at Middlebury College.