Riding Five-Match Win Streak, Volleyball Bests NESCAC Trio

The volleyball team capitalized on its home court advantage this past weekend, contending against three NESCAC rivals: Williams, Colby and Bates. The games proved no great challenge for the Panthers, who defeated all three opponents. The dominant weekend boosted the team’s record to 10-3.

Despite the strong play of Williams outside hitter Claire Miller, Middlebury defeated the Purple Cows 25-22, 20-25, 25-22, 25-20 in the four set match. The principal contributors for the Panthers were tri-captain Megan Jarchow ’14 with 15 kills, Amy Hart ’14 with eight, Olivia Kolodka ’15 with seven and Piper Underbrink ’15 with an additional six kills. Julia Gibbs ’13 and tri-captain Caitlin Barrett ’13 anchored the Middlebury defense with 21 collective digs.

The team then had just one day of practice to prepare for its game against Colby on Friday, Sept. 28.

“We [prepared] this week on being consistent and improving all the little things,” said head coach Sarah Raunecker. “We will continue to work on our blocking and serve receive, and also being aggressive out of system.”

Her insight proved true, as the Panthers brought home their second victory in three days in a 3-1 match against Colby. The defense stuffed 17 blocks in the game, as the Middlebury won the first, second and fourth sets off Colby, 25-14, 28-26 and 25-19, respectively. In the third set, however, the Mules gave the Panthers a run for their money, as Colby capitalized on a pair of set points and won the set 26-24.

Tri-captains Jarchow, Madeline Firestone ’13 and Barrett, along with Kolodka, Underbrink, Hart and Gibbs were all important contributors in the victory.

The final game of the weekend resulted in another 3-1 victory for the Panthers. The girls, playing their thid game in less than four days, lost the first set to Bates 25-23. Nonetheless, Middlebury came out strong in the second set, responding positively and striking back with power and intensity. After edging out the Bobcts 26-24 in the second set, the Panthers dominated the final two sets, winning by a score of 25-15 and 25-14. Hart, who pounded 17 kills and 15 digs during the match, quickly stifled any hope the Bobcats had of victory.

Jarchow, meanwhile, finished with a dozen kills and Firestone added another 10, bolstering her .643 hitting percentage. Gibbs and Kathryn Haderlein ’16 dished a combined 59 assists, leading the team.

The Panthers travel to Clinton, N. Y. this weekend with games against Hamilton (6-9, 1-3 in NESCAC) and Cortland State on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Despite Hamilton’s struggles this season, the Panthers won’t overlook their NESCAC rival.

“The conference is so deep that we pretty much prepare for most games the same way,” said Raunecker, “and that is to focus on our own game plan.”