Ryan Sharry Signs Deal in Luxembourg

The final play of Ryan Sharry's '12 basketball career will not be Travis Farrell's buzzer beater in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. The former Middlebury standout and two-time All-American has signed a contract to play overseas with T71 Dudelange Basketball, a team from the Diekirch League, the top flight basketball division in Luxembourg. Much like the Panthers, Sharry's new team has enjoyed sustained success over the last three years, winning the league title in 2010 and 2011 before falling last season in the championship game.

Sharry joins a growing number of former Panthers who have continued their careers overseas after graduating. Evan Thompson '07 (Denmark), Ben Rudin '09 (Israel) and Tim Edwards '10 (Germany) have all gone on to play abroad professionally, enjoying substantial success in the international game.

After signing with an agent this summer, Sharry generated interest from teams in Germany, England, Portugal and Slovakia before signing with the Luxembourg club earlier this month. Despite Sharry's accolades and stellar play at the collegiate level, a stigma against Division III players among teams and agents internationally made finding a team anything but a guarantee.

"A lot of European agents are very superficial," Sharry wrote in an email. "If you went [to a Division III school] they think there is something wrong with you, so the first contract is the hardest to get."

Sharry's versatility, however, is well suited to the international game where big men are expected to finish with both hands around the rim, knock down outside jump shots and be willing passers. The 6'9'' forward from Braintree, Mass. demonstrated his ability to do that and more during his career at Middlebury. Sharry finished the 2011-2012 season with a field goal percentage of .614, trailing only teammate Peter Lynch '13 in the NESCAC, while also shooting almost 43 percent from beyond the arc and dishing out two assists per game, the third highest on the team behind guards Jake Wolfin '13 and Joey Kizel '14.

"Ryan will be a successful player in Europe because of his uncanny ability to score the basketball," said Middlebury Assistant Coach Alex Popp. "He is a reliable post player, but his best asset at the next level will be stretching the defense by shooting from the perimeter. He is an ideal pick-and-pop big man."

While Sharry's soft shooting touch and tremendous range make him a nightmare to defend on the perimeter for players his size, he struggled at times offensively asserting his presence in the low post against strong, physical defenders. To be

an equally dominant offensive player at the next level, Sharry will need to improve on disengaging from defenders down low and demanding the ball in the paint.

"The biggest area of improvement should be physical," said Middlebury Head Coach Jeff Brown. "As Ryan continues to get stronger, his game should really take off. The European style of basketball is very tough and he will have the time to weight train and to add more strength to his frame."

What cannot be questioned, however, is Sharry's love for the game and his desire to win. In his four-year career at Middlebury, Sharry won 103 games and led the team to four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, two NESCAC Championships and a Final Four appearance.

"[Sharry] personified Middlebury Basketball in every way possible," Popp said. "He is tough, hardworking,

unselfish and competitive.  It was a joy to see him conduct himself in a professional manner everyday, and the attitude he brought to the table was contagious. The kid is a winner, and that's the best way I can describe him.  He certainly earned his status as a professional basketball player."

T71 opens the 2012-2013 season Sept. 30.