SAOC presents new initiatives

According to a study by the U.S. Department of Justice, one in four college women will experience sexual assault by the end of her senior year. In the face of such frightening statistics, active prevention and sensitive response procedures become absolutely imperative.

The Sexual Assault Oversight Committee (SAOC) strives to educate students about these statistics and methods of prevention. Last week, SAOC introduced new initiatives that will increase community participation in sexual assault prevention and will provide more accessible and private options for victims of assault.

The 15-person committee includes students, faculty and staff members, whose “role is to provide collaborative oversight on all aspects of sexual assault, including education, prevention, policy, support, assessment and communication,” according to President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz.

The SAOC was formed in the fall of 2008 in response to the findings of the Task Force on the Status of Women at Middlebury College, which recommended that the College revamp its policy on sexual assault. It comprises multiple sub-committees that focus on each aspect of the group’s mission. While student involvement was initially limited, students were given an opportunity to apply for positions on the committee during the spring. Andrea Jones ’10.5 and Todd Swisher ’10 — now active members — were both abroad when they were invited to apply for the three available student positions, each with a one-year term.

Swisher had recently become interested in feminist issues on campus and was glad to be able to bring a male perspective to a largely female-driven movement.

“It was an opportunity to do something concrete and affect at a basic level, policy-wise, what’s going on,” he said.
Jones had been involved in community efforts against sexual violence since her second semester at Middlebury. She looked forward to “bridging the gap” between the College and community and encouraging dialogue on an often-avoided subject. Carolyn Birsky ’10.5 was selected for the third student position.

The SAOC held an information session last week in the Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest to update members of the Middlebury community on its current plans and projects and to encourage community involvement in their initiatives. The session was set up to allow for each sub-committee to present its undertakings and accomplishments and invite feedback from those in attendance.

One major topic was the launch of the SAOC’s informative Web site, which can be found at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/health/saoc (go/sexualassaultinfo). The site was created in response to a survey conducted last spring, which asked students to share their perceptions of sexual assault, ideas on how to educate the student body and the resources they find most helpful. It prominently features a link to an emergency information page, along with a section on “Common Rape Myths” and information for students, from friends of victims to those interested in prevention.

The SAOC is currently working to gain federal funding through the U.S. Department of Justice Violence Against Women Act. While timing this year did not allow the group to create a full proposal, plans to apply next year are in full swing. One requirement for the grant is that they establish a partnership with a community organization — in this case, WomenSafe, a local community organization dedicated to ending violence toward women. Creating a team that transcends the campus boundaries reinforces the idea that addressing sexual assault is a collective undertaking.

“We need to recognize it is the responsibility of the community as a whole,” said Jones. “If the responsibility is widespread, the empowering tools can be, too.”

With the help of these funds, the committee plans to implement training programs for bystander intervention. Swisher later reiterated the importance of teaching these strategies. “We’ve all been at those parties,” he said, “and it’s terribly difficult to step in and say, ‘This is not in your best interest.’ We need to teach people how to act if they see a friend, male or female, where a dangerous situation could transpire.”

The group also presented the latest draft of the poster that will soon be ubiquitous on campus. The current posters already provide advice and information for victims of sexual assault, but as Natasha Chang, visiting assistant professor of Italian, explained, “We wanted to update the poster to make it more relevant, comprehensive and visually pleasing.” The new layout crosses rows of frequently asked questions with columns of campus resources, allowing students to easily see how to best take advantage of the help available to them.

The College’s official policy on sexual assault is currently undergoing revision to make the process of addressing assault cases “less traumatic and more private” for all involved. In the current tentative outline, the procedure would consist of assigning the complaint to a trained investigator, who would interview the individuals in question and any witnesses. The investigator would present his or her recommendations to a three-member panel that would in turn make a recommendation to the dean.

One problem that the committee hopes to address in revising the policy is some students’ hesitance to seek help. According to Vermont state law, “No person shall engage in a sexual act with another person and compel the other person to participate in a sexual act: (1) without the consent of the other person; or (2) by threatening or coercing the other person; or (3) by placing the other person in fear that any person will suffer imminent bodily injury.” While the SAOC does emphasize the legal implications of assault, it also acknowledges that victims can find themselves in overwhelming and confusing gray areas, especially when alcohol is involved. The committee hopes to “blur the lines” with regard to who needs support, according to Karen Guttentag, associate dean of the College. If they think they need help or just want someone to talk to, “students shouldn’t feel they need to meet a textbook definition of sexual assault,” she said. “Everyone should feel they have the right to support.”

The information session concluded with a question and answer period, during which attendees were encouraged to provide feedback and offer suggestions. The small group of attendees included Elianna Kan ’10.5 and Samuel Hurt ’12.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Kan of the committee and its endeavors. “It’s surprising that this is something new.” She believes that dialogue is a key element in addressing sexual assault. “Talking among friends is the best thing you can do,” she said.

Hurt also found the info session quite helpful, adding that this issue is “not discussed enough” on campus.

Jones agrees, encouraging all students to take advantage of an administration that is receptive to their concerns. “We’re very lucky to have administrators who are generally interested in resolving the problem. You hear horror stories about the way they just bury it at other schools,” she said. “Still, we need students to make it clear that it’s a priority … Those individuals who do want to be a part of the process can talk to the committee and attend meetings. It grows stronger based on more input and more voices.”

Though the group’s accomplishments and ambitions are impressive, members concede that it is still in its early stages. “A lot of different pieces are coming together,” said Swisher. “Some are concrete, and some are more about dialogue, making it something people are more comfortable talking about. The Web site is a good first step, but there’s still a lot of work to be done.”

“The College needs to make the firm, strong statement that [sexual assault] happens here but we don’t want it to happen here,” Swisher said. “We are determined to make this a safe environment for women and men alike.