SGA Reviews Honor Code

On Feb. 24, the Student Government Organization (SGA) held their weekly meeting. The Senate was informed that the “’Merica Dance” held the Friday before the meeting had been fairly successful. Senators Graham Shaw ’16 and Hasher Nisar ’16 had led the efforts in promoting the event. At its peak, approximately 200 students were in attendance.

Every four years there is an honor code review at the College. There is a review this year, and Karen Guttentag, associate dean for judicial affairs and student life, came to the SGA meeting to discuss the findings of the honor code review committee that she has been leading.

“If there has been a central question for the Honor Code Review Committee this year, it has been, what recommendations can we make to ensure that each constituency — students, faculty and staff — is working in concert to actively and consistently promote an environment of academic integrity?” she said.

Members of the committee and the SGA raised various concerns about academic integrity at the College. The College does not feel that there is a cheating crisis at the moment, but many feel that the problem is still apparent here (although no more or less than national averages). The Honor Code was amended in between the two most recent reviews (the previous one having taken place during the 2008-2009 academic year), to allow professors to proctor exams when they feel it is necessary.

A straw poll to approve the review would have passed unanimously if not for two abstentions from proxy representatives. SGA President Charlie Arnowitz ’13 was happy to see the progress being made.

“Obviously the honor code is very important to both the academic and community experience here at Middlebury,” he said.

On March 3, it was announced that the Feb Senator referendum had passed. Febs will no longer vote for, or be represented by commons or class senators. There will now be two Feb Senators. Elections for the new seat will be held on Monday, March 11.

Peter Mattson, SGA treasurer and finance committee chair, also presented the proposed finance committee guidelines to the SGA.

Old Chapel has picked up many costs for club sports that would have crippled the SGA’s budget. However, drastic changes did not have to be made due to the help of the administration. Club teams must actively fundraise for their spring break trips.

Transportation reimbursements were planned to be cut significantly, and this was not popular among many senators. Senator Will Potter ’14.5 was one of the leading voices of dissent.

“The finance committee guidelines should support transportation reimbursement that realizes the true cost of driving and maintaining a vehicle, while minimizing abuse of the system,” he said.

But not all on the SGA were in opposition to the transportation section.

“I’m glad that the Senate approved the overwhelming majority of the guidelines. With regard to the transit section, it was tabled because some senators were uncomfortable with the decrease in per-mile compensation,” said Arnowitz.