Student gardeners reap benefits of organic philosophy

Author: Lizzy Zevallos

This weekend's Middlebury Organic Garden's Annual Harvest Festival was a time of merriment and reunion in honor of a successful growing season at the garden. The rainy skies on Saturday, Sept. 24 were no deterrent to the determined student gardeners who relocated the festival from its usual spot at Middlebury's Organic Garden to the beautiful Coffrin Terrace. Here, students gathered from across campus to get a real taste of what the garden is all about.

Against the backdrop of the New England sunset and the early fall foliage, the Harvest Festival seemed completely appropriate for Middlebury's transition into autumn. Eager students with bowls in hand, teased by the sweet aroma of freshly prepared organic cuisine, formed a long line that wrapped around the terrace. From spicy sweet potatoes to black bean quinoa salad to mouth-watering homemade apple pie, this delectable treasure trove of organic food was undeniably worth the wait. There was good eating, mingling, laughter and, to top off the perfect Harvest Festival ambiance, there was bluegrass music.

Rosalind Chaplin '09 and Tessa McClary '09, both active in the Middlebury Organic Garden, were happy to see so many students gathered for the lively celebration. Living in today's world, it is easy lose contact with where food comes from. For McClary, the festival was an opportunity to let everyone feel that connection again and to give other students a sense of how delicious vegetables can be when they are eaten fresh. Bluegrass/folk musician, Jeremy Osborne '07, who performed felt it was an honor to promote social causes that are important to our community and the world.

The Harvest Festival was a success in celebrating the change of season and the hard work of all the Middlebury organic gardeners. The Organic Garden, located half a mile behind Bicentennial Hall, is the product of many passionate Middlebury students. The club is always looking for new members and with the soy bean harvest coming up there will be lots to help out with. To learn more about visting and volunteering in the Organic Garden contact advisor Jay Lehinsky or student leaders Baylie Roth and Samuel Libby.

The garden makes for a tranquil and serene spot where one can go to get in touch with nature. For Jean Hamilton '05, one of the original founders of the Middlebury Organic Garden, the most successful aspect of the garden is the 100s of people who have come together because of it. She hopes "when the time is ripe" everyone should give the organic garden a visit.