Students add fuel to global debate

Author: Polly Johnson

Americans have watched over the years as gas prices have exponentially increased and recently watched in shock as the price of a gallon of fuel rose to over $3.00 in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. As economic, environmental and political issues will inevitably continue to cause prices to rise, people must begin to look at fuel alternatives as ways to not only cut costs but also to protect our environment. This summer a group of proactive Middlebury students proved that global fuel efficiency can be achieved.

Kicking off their tour in Tennessee, the involved students, including Jeremy Osborn '06, May Boeve '06.5, Jamie Henn '07, Thomas Hand '06 and Austen Levihn-Coon '07.5, punctuated their journey by stopping in various towns along the way to stir up excitement for the prospect of cleaner cars and a safer, more livable environment.

In their daily blog, found on their Web site www.roadtodetroit.org, Osborn described the purpose of their mission: "American auto manufacturers have both an economic and moral opportunity to create clean cars. We know Toyota and Honda are kicking the Big Three's butts all over the American auto manufacturing landscape. But we also know that if Ford, GM and Chrysler shift their focus onto cleaner cars, they will regain the competitive edge, they will revitalize the Motor City with more jobs and cleaner air, they will take up the historic legacy of automotive innovation that made Detroit the Motor City in the first place."

The blog recounts the daily trials and tribulations the group faced as they rallied support along the way. Their mission, as stated on the first page of the blog, is described as "seven young organizers [who] have taken to the road for a cross country tour to highlight the need to revitalize the U.S. auto industry with a more socially and environmentally responsible vision."

Along the journey, the team of students met with socially and environmentally responsible awareness groups and individuals who were eager to support their cause and offer guidance and help. According to Henn and Boeve, "At each stop, the students explained to people that they are taking action against global warming not just because of some scientific statistics, but because of moral and spiritual reasons - they are acting with their hearts as well as their heads."

They collected 15,000 signatures from people from all over the country. Once in Detroit, hundreds of people converged for two days of meetings to demand cleaner and more efficient vehicles from the auto manufacturers. In a rewarding culmination, the students, along with the United Auto Workers, presented the signatures at the oldest Ford factory.

Although the tour has come to an end, the fight for fuel efficiency has not. Now that the students are back on campus, they know that there is much more to be done. The students, part of the Sunday Night Group, are continuing work on climate change and environmental justice on campus. Energy Action, a coalition of more than 20 organizations working together to build an energy movement in North America, has agreed to fund the group during their work here at Middlebury.

The group will continue to draw inspiration from the successful summer experience of Road to Detroit. According to Boeve, "There were many times when we didn't have a concrete plan, and at those times, we always returned to the same refrain - 'the vision is what's important.' People are excited about a youth clean energy vision - it's empowering in itself. Having a roving bus tour based on a vision was something unique and powerful."

The group also has the support of the College faculty. Scholar in Residence in Environmental Studies Bill McKibben has lent his full support to the group. "It's about time the next generation of motorists begin to press Detroit to change the cars they'll be driving for decades to come," he said. "Our automakers have been shameful sluggards - for 15 years we've known about global warming, and all they've done is pump out more SUVs. Thank heaven someone is finally taking them on."