Students strive for healthy minds and bodies As the semester grind kicks in, do your body good

Author: Lizzie Horvitz

Most of us have heard of, if not experienced, the infamous "freshman 15," a term that refers to the number of pounds supposedly gained by first-year college students. Whether it's too many late nights at The Grille, opting to take the elevator to the fifth floor a few too many times or, dare I say it, living in Ross, the college lifestyle, including late night study sessions and too much partying, can lead to bad habits that are easy to adopt and hard to break. But not to worry - equipped with a regular workout regimen and a healthy diet, students can stay fit, and more importantly, feel great.

Anyone would agree it is much easier to get in shape during the first months of school. During those first few weeks, before the work is piled on, it is much easier to get outside and hit the trails than it is during those never-ending, icy winter months.

Vermont's called the Green Mountain State for a reason. Take advantage of it! While the weather is nice, students can find the time to get out and hike Snake Mountain, bike down Cider-Mill road or take a jog down by the organic garden.

How does one get motivated to climb out of a comfortable feather bed, layer on the Under Armour and trudge to the gym?

If exercising is not your forte, establishing a routine for your daily college life is key. We were designed to need sleep. It is a phase of repair and renewal for the entire body. Going several days without enough sleep lowers resistance, and one becomes more liable to contract a virus or fall into "lazy mode." Suddenly exercise becomes a daunting task. So, stick to the rules!

1. Go to the gym!

The Middlebury Fitness Center is state-of-the-art and has more than enough machines to use. Plus, it can turn into quite the social scene, right? And what other school has as nice of a view?

It might prove a little intimidating for first-time visitors, but trust us. Once you motivate yourself to move on down to the Fitness Center, you'll be thankful you did. A few minutes on the tread mill, the stationary bicycle or at the weights and you'll be refreshed and ready to hit the books.

2. Eat your fruits and veggies.

For college students especially, eating breakfast and having multiple servings of fruits and vegetables each day will drastically improve both the way you feel and perform. Drinking water is also very important. Stay away from soda, which dehydrates the body and is full of sugar.

3. Know your dining options.

Atwater, Proctor and Ross all offer more than we think. You can always find good protein like chicken, fish or red meat. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, do not feel like your only options are pasta and pizza. There is always a wonderful salad bar with low-cal dressings and sandwich options made with wheat or whole grain bread. Little known fact, Ross always has black bean burgers in the back corner by the bagels. And of course eat regular meals in moderate portions.

4. Sign up for an exercise class.

There are a variety of exercise classes, both within the school and in town, which provide a great way to stay fit and at the top of your game. Looking for a way to relax? Try yoga or meditation. Always wanted to learn kick boxing? Go for it! Signing up for a class will hold you to your exercise goals, because you signed up and already paid. If you'd rather work out on your own, make a schedule for yourself, set a time, find a buddy and FOLLOW it.